• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!

Partical Emmiter co-ordinates??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 4
Hey guys,

I'm not exactly a pro modder but I've been reading tutorials and slowly grasping the concept.
At the moment I'm doing some basic model adjustments to original blizzard models such as adding partical emitters. I basically want to add the priests eye glow to some other models but the problems is I need the co-ordinates for the attachment point of the emitters but I have no idea how to find them. I was reading This tutorial on adding emitters to models but it didn't stipulate how to find the co-ordinates.

If someone could give me a hand it would be greatly appreciated

Last edited by a moderator:
Level 4
The thing is the models don't open in the vertex modifier. How do model editors place partical emitters where they want them is basically what i'm trying to figure out

Level 4
If you do it in Magos, go to Node Manager, right-click on your particle emitter and choose "Edit Node" There you can set the x,y and z position of your emitter.

Legend I am using Magos to create these emmitters I should've mentioned that , But does it tell you the co-ordinates? because I know where to place the co-ordinates but not how to find them

I can't check magos now i'm not at home but I will later on

I don't really know what you want to do, but when i place my emitters in magos, i just experiment until the particles show up where i want them to be.
If you like using vertex modify, you can open up the model in there (.mdl format ofc) and hold the mouse where you want the particle to be - then read the mouse coordinates in the bottom window.

Level 4
Epic bump!

EPIC BUMP!

Think I know what the Problem Is, The emitters need to be attached to bones. for example I was looking at the Hellscream modeland BAM

Temp-3.jpg

The model has BONES ON IT'S FREAKEN EYES!!!

So NOW i need to take this to the next level, Does anyone have suggestions on how I can make bones on the EYES of my model so I can attach my particle emmiter?

It is possible to make, position, and even link bones in magos. Click on one of the bones you know will move the way you want (for example "head" if you want to do the eyes), right click, then "add particle emitter 2". It will then be linked to the head bone, but for god's sake don't make a new bone for each emitter, it's just a waste of space. Simply right click, "edit node", and change the numbers in the XYZ fields. Experiment untill you find what you want, Z is upwards, and XY is sidewards.

Level 4
For two* windows.

Okay so It's not bones,

I'll just do a quick summary, correct me if I'm wrong

I don't need to add new bones
I must attach the emitter to a bone I know will move (IE the head for eyes)

Things I'm confused about

How do I get the co-ordinates from two windows? and which two.

Temp-4.jpg

I'm adding pretty much the exact same effect for my model edit of the timber wolf
the co-ordinates in that pic are from the bottom left window on the eye. which other window do I take co-ordinates from?

Last edited:
Level 49
First of all open your model in both Vertex Modifier and Magos Model Editor. Now, position one of the view-ports in Vertex Modifier on the part you want to add an emitter and zoom in to the maximum. Now open Node Manager in Magos Model Editor, right click on your Particle Emitter and click "Edit Node". Then select the first coordinate in the "Edit Node" window. Now hover over the place you want your particle emitter in the view-port you zoomed in to, and write the coordinates in the "Edit Node" window(you can switch to another coordinate without clicking by using the "Tab" button on your keyboard). When you are done with one view-port, do the same for another(no matter which), for the last coordinate. That's all you have to do.

This is how it works: Vertex modyfy is, ofcourse, 2d-based. The three viewports represend each angle.
This means, if your viewport shows your model in profile, it will trace the mouse's location in Z, and X(or Y, depending on how your model is facing). It all says in the bottom bar, you know.

To get all three coordinates, you must locate the spot in two windows to make sure the point is 3-dimensional.

Level 4
First of all open your model in both Vertex Modifier and Magos Model Editor. Now, position one of the view-ports in Vertex Modifier on the part you want to add an emitter and zoom in to the maximum. Now open Node Manager in Magos Model Editor, right click on your Particle Emitter and click "Edit Node". Then select the first coordinate in the "Edit Node" window. Now hover over the place you want your particle emitter in the view-port you zoomed in to, and write the coordinates in the "Edit Node" window(you can switch to another coordinate without clicking by using the "Tab" button on your keyboard). When you are done with one view-port, do the same for another(no matter which), for the last coordinate. That's all you have to do.

Excuse my Stupidness but

LULWAT?

I understand about the whole getting the co-ordinates and making a node I just can't get them to work on the eyes

Temp-4.jpg

When I choose the bottom LEFT box I don't get a middle co-ordinate,

Basically what I need to know is

A) what doe these boxes represent? X Y Z? Z Y X? I'm real confused.

Temp-5.jpg

B) The Red Spots are where I want emitters, are these the righ(ish) co-ordinates?

temp2.jpg

C)Is my emitter in the right place?

temp3.jpg

I've attached the MDX and MDL so hopefully you can help me bro

+1 Rep for all the help so far :D

Attachments

• TimberWolf.mdl
    503.6 KB · Views: 63
  • TimberWolf.mdx
    164 KB · Views: 50
Seriously, there's one really simple way to find out. Go to the "animation controller" in magos, and set it to stand. If you did the particle correctly, it will show up in the animations. If not, make sure you have all things like emission rate, head box checked, life time, etc.

And then just experiment! If they show up in the wrong place, just try to swap places in the boxes.

EDIT: And yes, i think your emitter is in the right place. But as i said, just go to animation controller and check it out yourself.

Level 4
Depression

Seriously, there's one really simple way to find out. Go to the "animation controller" in magos, and set it to stand. If you did the particle correctly, it will show up in the animations. If not, make sure you have all things like emission rate, head box checked, life time, etc.

And then just experiment! If they show up in the wrong place, just try to swap places in the boxes.

EDIT: And yes, i think your emitter is in the right place. But as i said, just go to animation controller and check it out yourself.

Thanks mate but I've tried it and so far it doesn't work, I've made particle emitters before and they always seem to work but with the whole eyes thing just doesn't seem to like me.

The only other way I can think of attaching the emitters to the eyes is to make bones where the eyes are and attach the emitters to that.

Alternativly if someone could fix this for me (hint) or explain to me the method General Frank used for his BloodElf Rogues eyes.

Cheers and Rep to all who offered their help :D

Status
Not open for further replies.