• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Owl Moon Priestess Reforged

While brainstorming a possible entry to the current Reforged Don't Refund Techtree Contest that is going on right now, I thought it would be fun to create a model for one of my possible ideas of making a Reforged version of the Night Elf Moon Priestess riding on an owl.

The legend goes that in 2001 when Blizzard was originally developing the Night Elves, they had planned for the Priestess of the Moon hero (then called Moon Priestess) to be riding on an owl. There were even leaked photos of the owl rider model, but Blizzard never released it outside their 2001-2002 offices.

So, this is a custom Reforged model made with inspiration from that.
Here's a video of me flying a hero around with this model (sorry the music is quiet):

Edit: I removed a part of the harness that was clipping the rider's body.

Update: Thanks to the user @Altruistic Anduin who sent me an updated version of this model, which he says was fixed and optimized by Z1003. In his words:
The changes made to actual model are: the FaceFX has now a mouth animation and can lip-sync any vanilla sound set, the model's stitched death sound is changed from Snowy Owl to the Hippogryph Rider's death sound, and in order to match the FaceFX bones, the height and rotation has been adjusted slightly. This is why the Movement - Height is 200.000 instead of the standard 240.000, or at least how the rest of the flying units in-game have.
They also supplied a good example set of in-game Object Editor attributes for a custom hero to match this model file:

• Art - Elevation - Sample Radius: 100.000
  • Art - Icon - Game Interface: Snowy Owl
  • Art - Model File: OwlMoonPriestess.mdl
  • Art - Projectile Launch - X: 40.000
  • Art - Selection Circle - Height: 230.000
  • Art - Selection Scale: 1.500
  • Art - Shadow Image (Unit): Flyer
  • Combat - Attack 1 - Projectile Homing Enabled: False
  • Combat - Death Type: Can't raise. Does not decay
  • Combat - Targeted as: Air
  • Movement - Group Separation - Enabled: True
  • Movement - Height: 200.000
  • Movement - Height Minimum: 90.000
  • Movement - Type: Fly
  • Pathing - Collision Size: 8.000
  • Sound - Unit Sound Set: Shandris
  • Text - Name: Moon Priestess
  • Text - Tooltip - Awaken: Revive Moon Priestess
  • Text - Tooltip - Basic: Summon Moon Priestess
  • Text - Tooltip - Revive: Revive Moon Priestess
Along with this, @Altruistic Anduin also suggested:
I would make the Combat - Targeted as to Ground for balance purposes, like in DotA where everyone can attack seemingly flying hero units.
Thanks guys!
Previews
Contents

Owl Moon Priestess Reforged (Model)

Owl Moon Priestess with fixes by Z1003 (Model)

Reviews
General Frank
A wonderful recreation of a wc3beta model into reforged. Works in-game and performs well. Good job.
Level 3
Heya! I'm trying to remove the Hero Glow from this model... But when I open the file in Retera; I cant find any Node relating to Hero Glow.

I'm pretty new to editing models, so any help removing the glow would be awesome!

wrong.
  • Combat - Targeted as: Air
should be Air, Ground like AOS
That goes down to preference, if you're using this on certain types of map you are working on. Yes, Air and Ground for AoS-type of maps, or Air for what it looks like - the priestess riding on a flying owl... on air. There was a reason why this version of the Priestess of the Moon was scrapped due to it being the only hero to be aerial if it was released which would cause MAJOR unbalance and huge advantage for the Night Elves, that's why it was scrapped, because they weren't going for your suggestion on her being AoS-type. Same goes for the Naga race; they'd have the biggest advantage of all, for they can swim in the watery areas of maps and even build on shallow water. But I digress... This is just to remake the beta version of the classic Moon Priestess.

due to it being the only hero to be aerial if it was released
As far as I know, Blizzard was not this crazy even back then. Between alpha screenshots and data included in the RoC Beta on Hallfiry's unofficial archive, I'm fairly certain that flying heroes were going to be a part of all races, or a part of no races. My data suggests:
  • Orc was going to have Farseer or a similar hero riding on a wyvern or maybe a ghost wyvern
  • The Dread Lord back when he was wearing a dress could shapeshift into a bat, and there is even an unused soundset in the RoC Beta (that released! we have it... although it sounds a lot like carrion swarm modulated slightly differently in each sound file) for the dreadlord's alternate form
  • Human was probably going to have the Gryphon Rider as their flying hero, but that's just my best guess. I don't recall seeing that in the alpha screenshots when I was looking at the ones I could find recently, whereas we do find screenshots of the orc caster hero riding on a wyvern/ghost wyvern (seems different across different alpha screenshots).
So, the flying moon priestess was undoubtedly going to be part of a cycle -- where each race had a flying hero -- that would have still been balanced across the races. I assume they were probably all cut around the same time as a design decision. I just liked this one because for me I thought it was the coolest.

To be honest, around ~2006-2008 some IRL friends of mine made a race mod with all custom races and gave each race 1 flying hero inspired by a rumor that RoC beta was going to have been like that. We... quickly removed it too after playtesting. It's too easy to troll an enemy base with a flying hero, or steal their items even better than what Wc3 matches see with blademasters, etc. I do appreciate why this is not a part of the official game. But, it's also a cool aesthetic to have fun with in custom maps, such as with this model.

I would like to port this model to the classic version
i think i missed this message, by the way. Yeah man do whatever you want with this, maybe leave a note that it's based on the model by me so I get some cool credits.

sorry I know I'm late responding to this message. Maybe you already did it, I guess that's typically the way of the world

Heya! I'm trying to remove the Hero Glow from this model... But when I open the file in Retera; I cant find any Node relating to Hero Glow.

it's probably a ParticleEmitterPopcorn node with a name like "Hero_Glow" or something similar. I could check again later if you still don't figure it out

Edit 2: by the way guys, for this really really off topic stuff about porting HD models to classic, while I was on a vacation recently I wrote a similar utility using Retera Model Studio that bakes textures out of HD models so you could probably backport without the need for whatever other tools you were using, if that ever helps anyone

edit 3: for example i spent a couple of minutes, and I clicked "Port to SD" on the DRMS build with the texture baking and made the models from earlier in this thread all in SD in like 10 minutes with the automation. Do we care? Why does this matter? Why do this?

It even autobakes the team color to the best of its ability. But why? Why care? Why want this?

Last edited: