• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Overgod (In Development)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 2
Hello everyone,

I am currently working on a project based on the concept of players being Gods. If you have played games such as Black & White or Dominions 3, this will have a sense of familiarity to you; However, I found that a lot of the 'god simulators' seemed constraining in many ways.

What I have done is created a progression system based on belief power which is used as Gold. The focus of the map will step back from resource gathering and step inward on the amount of mortals that you have commanded under your whim.

At the start of the game you have an invulnerable disembodied God that represents you. It has the ability to create extensions of his will that cost 100 belief (with high cooldown) that manifests a small invisible essence. These essences work very much like the Possession spell. You use them to seek out and convert a mortal to expand your portfolio of followers.

(The Convertion essences can only possess creatures equal to their level. I have adjusted it so greater creatures and powerful summons don't get converted by an easy gesture of little power.)

Once you have enough mortals under your whim you can then begin the construction of a shrine. The Shrine grants you the power to summon minor creatures of the wild and also summon Convertion essences, if needed. It's capabilities will grow in power as you upgrade it, produce prophets, etc until you go on to making new temples and powerful altars. The mortals will also be able to build their needed structures, starting with village huts, observation towers, and village centers (which also evolve over upgrades like ages).

The construction of mortals isn't entirely dependent upon converting. Village huts and Centers can produce mature Males and Females (the button is called maturity). They cost -no resources-, only food. Females have the ability to construct the Shrine and the hut/center with the addition of using an ability called 'Mate' which allows them to produce a child. The reason why the children producing is an option is because they give the most belief per second (3), females give 2, and males give 1. This makes it a primary focus to facilitate a vast population and give room for the production of large armies. Males are the primary laborers that eventually build other important structures, such as a training hall, docks, etc.

The map itself is a vast collection of isle continents, allowing the players to start out in a bit of isolation before choosing their diplomatic relations of other divine siblings and wreaking havoc across the globe. Currently, the map supports 10 Gods.

As the players (Gods) grow in power, they will eventually choose different divinispheres, somewhat like levels of divine connection to reality like the elements or chaos. As they increase in power, they will achieve certain divine levels that rant them more access to these divinispheres. These are arranged like a ladder, "Godling/Godspawn, Lesser God, God, High God, Elder God, and Overgod". The goal is to get to the maximum divine level, granting the majority of power from all divinispheres.

The only thing I am having difficulty with as of right now is how to set in 8 different classifications of unique spells with it being as an on target. A lot of them, such as summoning blood golems or a Dark Titan, can be easily implemented with the chat command to have it be summoned on the God, but I do not want to have it necessary for the God unit to be in every location for spells that aren't summons, such as an AoE.

So, mainly... what would I do for spells that I'd like the God to target an enemy with? IE, a goblin horde is attacking the village and the God's unit object only has so many abilities and only 6 item slots. I want to make it balanced so that if a God is invading another God, he won't personally be there and unload spells like a gattling cannon. I'd like different things such as fireballs, meteor showers, blacks holes, etc, but I only want them available depending on how much the player has tapped into that divinisphere but be able to target it on the map over a wide distance.

Another idea as a safeguard was creating a region for each player that latches onto a temple or other religious object that binds them to that region, this way they can only use nukes and aoes in their realm while they still can cast powerful summons and global spells (earthquakes, eclipse, etc).

This will create a sense of variety to the liking of the player, such as being the God of Fire, the God of Chaos, the God of Elements, etc. They will also be able to construct appropriate buildings as they further advance. Doesn't go well when you have a beautiful lit-up temple when your entire kingdom is dark with blight everywhere. I also intend on having their chosen powers affect the terrain of their kingdoms, but I'll consider that a secondary objective.

Mainly, I am looking for the community's opinion on this. I want to make this very distinct and full of options for the player to really feel like a God and customize their environment. Also, there will be other builder options, some for decorations and others for erecting walls, etc.

I have done a lot of voice recordings to give a feel to the map. It opens with two aspects of yourself that call themselves the 'Reverence' that represent the dualities of nature (good/evil, etc) that act as your guides. I am also making a custom soundset for the God unit, voice emote commands (so players can sound like gods, too! :D), and voices for powerful spells being cast.

As far as races go, currently there's only the Humans to offer an expansive kingdom and building structure. Once I have all of their civilization stages finished, I will create racial replicas based off of their object data.

What do you think would be a better idea?:

A) Bunch of species all around the map, warring with each other and waiting to be slaughtered or converted.

B) Just humans and lesser creatures, but as your power evolves, you can start shifting the humans and form a new race... Paving the road of "Player God has created a new race." or something.

Another thing:

What would you think of allowing the player to choose a form of government when he/she reaches the right civilization stage? Like having an Emperor as a unit, a Pope, a group of oligarchs, a circle of mages, etc?

Another, nother thing:

I'd like to trigger what mortals want or need, whether it be happiness or more houses, but it isn't a necessity. If created, would you find this more of a nuisance or more of rightful responsibility? I mean, you could always replace with a shower of fire. :p

Currently finished:

Voice cinematic intro. (All voice recordings custom)
Custom Emote voice commands. (type something, text and recorded voice appears to all players)
Custom human civilization that technologically evolves.
Belief system based on how many followers you have. (Acts as Gold)
Map layout, terrain, etc, is fully finished.

Ideas:

Kingdom's form of government (choose forms of governance such as pure theocracy, monarchy, magocracy, imperium, etc)
God unit is bound to regions emanating from their temples, shrines, sanctuaries, etc.

I apologize if I have jumped alot on this topic. I have hardly gotten any sleep and I am about to head to bed. Please let me now what you guys think, offer ideas/suggestions, margaritas... Anything. :)

Thanks gals and guys. I hope to have this in beta release in a few days if all goes well.

-Ahmethus

Last edited:
Level 2
That is a cool concept.

In my opinion there should be many species around the map, but also make it so that they can evolve?
So they would start off small, in terms of power, but as the god's power grow, so does the power of its disciples.
I do not feel like the governments would truly be anything but a theocracy; with the prophets in command.
Is the god not completely in control of his people? A government of anything but a theocracy, I feel like, would imply otherwise.
And personally I would find the needs/wants a nuisance. I would have a hard enough time without something such as that.

Do you intend to have the player start out with a few followers, or does the player start from scratch?

Level 2
That is a cool concept.
Thank you. I am glad to hear. I didn't think there were any concepts similar to this, whether in WC maps or fully expressed in another game.

In my opinion there should be many species around the map, but also make it so that they can evolve?
So they would start off small, in terms of power, but as the god's power grow, so does the power of its disciples.

This is the intention. I just didn't know if the species' should already be scattered around the map waiting to be converted by the God, or eventually allow the God to transform the humans or summon the species into the world.

In maybe one or two cases, a species such as a demonic race will be summoned via a chat command and they will be able to construct a Gateway to port in other workers and powerful entities. I plan on having everything with a distinct background.

I do not feel like the governments would truly be anything but a theocracy; with the prophets in command.
Is the god not completely in control of his people? A government of anything but a theocracy, I feel like, would imply otherwise.

I can definitely agree with this; However, some Gods may want different structures of government for their people, or may not care how they govern themselves so long as they obey when war comes.

I thought it might be a unique idea to allow players to build an Emperor or Empress that represents 'The Voice' of the God, or maybe a circle of mages, etc. I also wanted to put in other things like researching Feudalism and granting the construction of nobles. But again, this is all just an idea that I've put on hold. But I can agree that anything else apart from a theocracy would imply that the God does not have full sway over His/Her people.

Mainly, this aspect of the map would primarily be for image/presentation to the God's satisfaction.

And personally I would find the needs/wants a nuisance. I would have a hard enough time without something such as that.

Agreed. This is what I was contemplating today. I had a hard enough time taking care of children in Black & White.

Do you intend to have the player start out with a few followers, or does the player start from scratch?

Currently, each God starts out hovering near a mortal who will be gazing off the coast or standing near a fire all alone. This is suppose to represent the mortal praying or being fundamentally lost. After convertion, poof, they're yours. Not far from every starting position is a minimum of one village, too.

So, technically you do start from scratch, but after you convert your nearby village it becomes a steady climb after that.

Let me know if you want to test it out with me, sometime. I could use a beta tester or two.

Level 2
I think it'd be cool if you didn't limit the female's to only a few structures. Perhaps you could do a research or something that causes them to be able to build other buildings or become soldiers?

The map sounds pretty good, but I agree that your leadership should probably be a theology. Otherwise, your god might fall into disfavour quickly when war comes around.

For the ultimate skills, couldn't you do something like an upgrade that causes your god to be able to use a certain skill. When said skill is used, remove upgrade and refresh said skill's cool-down? I think it'd be cooler that way, because then it'd reward careful micromanagement, good treatment of your citizens, and the stuff of that like.

Do you plan to have wars or other things like that put your religious "power" down, so to speak? Like, hurricane hits. People take it as a sign that their god haft abandoned them. You lose followers and stuff like that.

Level 17
Some advice:
  1. don't add the theology, democracy, or anything that related to it, it's making the game far complicated for new player, just add the firelogy, waterlogy, or something that related to your 'god's element, or something like that
  2. Create god's specific spell, so a god of fire can launch a vocano eruption, a god of water can launch a tsunami, a god of wind can launch a hurricane, and a god of earth can cause earth quake
    Other gods:
    Thunder: strom
    Ice: icly rain
    Clay: mud flood
    Etc
    And also create when 4 spells (in this case, fire+water+earth+wind) can cause a globalistic side effect, such as catasthrope
  3. limit the mature female count, or they will reproducing like hell, and gain gold with ease
  4. add specific god's ritualism, like for god, it want to have a circle of fire created by it's belivers, or smthing like that

Level 13
I would suggest instead of going to far into the human governments and such focus more on the gods ability or more what you're followers can do for there god.

For species on the isles I would say go all human then let the way they play god effect the people it gives the feel that you are the one in control.

Status
Not open for further replies.