• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

ORPG Gameplay

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 11
So, I have spent a lot of time thinking on how the Heroes should work in my ORPG map. This is how it is now:

You start as a Recruit for one of four races. At level 10 you advance to your first class (can choose from two) and at level 50 you can further advance your class (can choose from two). Heroes have their 4 abilities (+1 passive) which they will have through the rest of the game.

New Idea:
You start your one Hero from the start and will play that Hero throughout the whole game. Heroes will differ in appearance, attack/defense type, stats and each one will have 1 or 2 unique abilities which cannot be changed.
There will be several different "trainers" which can teach your Hero spells. Some Heroes can learn spells from some "trainers" while others cannot. Spells taught by "trainers" will come in Tier 1 through 4 (you can only have one Tier 1 spell, one Tier 2 spell etc) and you can combine spells from different trainers as long as the spells does not belong to the same Tier.
This type of gameplay will make it harder to get bored with your Hero since you can replace your abilities with new ones, thus changing the role of your Hero.
I was thinking of starting with 10 Trainers, which can teach 4 spells each (one from each Tier). However, my final goal would be that each trainer can teach 8 spells each, and that there should be atleast 20 trainers resulting in 160 different spells to explore.

My question to you is, should I stick with my first idea taken from TEve ORPG or this new idea I got?

Level 12
The new concept would be better if I got it correctly.

Before I give my opinions, I have some questions to ask. How many skills can you use at most? Does each trainer teach 4 skills but for different classes? Like for example: I create an NPC named Peacehagen. He is able to teach skills, but for magicians, warriors, archers, and marksmen. Am I right in this?

Level 11
Each hero can learn four spells each. For example one trainer can teach frost spells, then maybe five of the twenty heroes can learn those spells. However you would be able to pick one spell at à time, making your own combination of spells from the different trainers that are available to your hero.

Example of heroes would be:
Demonblade - can learn fire, shadow and melee combat arts.
Windrider - can learn wind, lightning and ranged combat arts.

Level 12
Each hero can learn four spells each. For example one trainer can teach frost spells, then maybe five of the twenty heroes can learn those spells. However you would be able to pick one spell at à time, making your own combination of spells from the different trainers that are available to your hero.

Example of heroes would be:
Demonblade - can learn fire, shadow and melee combat arts.
Windrider - can learn wind, lightning and ranged combat arts.

I see. The concept is indeed good, but you will have to travel around to change skills and stuff, so I suggest around a maximum of 3 trainers who can teach a skill which is: beginning spells, advanced and your ultimate. Like the beginning spells being easy to get, just earn gold or something, then buy it from him/her or do a quest which unlocks your skill. Then for the advanced, do a quest or earn gold, or do a mixture of both. And the last, for the ultimate, make it like a super hard quest where you have to spend a huge amount of gold. Like a dungeon where you have to defend yourself or the town/city from waves, and if you succeed, you finish the quest, gain some gold and be able to buy your skill. But in order to do this system, your save/load system must be good enough to save quests you have already finished, and stuff. But those are possible, Gaia's Retaliation does this.

Level 11
Ok, I will use this idea then :) yeah, I havn't decided yet on what is needed for the spells. My first thought was the first spell costs a low amount of gold, the second spell more gold, the third spell costs a low amount of lumber (will be a hard to get currency) and the ultimate a higher amount of lumber.

Also, I was thinking perhaps a player has to complete a trial to learn any of the spells a trainer has to offer. So if you complete the somewhat challenging trial, you can spend your gold/lumber to learn any of the spells. But might make it so there are seperate quests for the spells :)

Thanks for all your help and oppinions!

Level 6
Ok, I will use this idea then :) yeah, I havn't decided yet on what is needed for the spells. My first thought was the first spell costs a low amount of gold, the second spell more gold, the third spell costs a low amount of lumber (will be a hard to get currency) and the ultimate a higher amount of lumber.

Also, I was thinking perhaps a player has to complete a trial to learn any of the spells a trainer has to offer. So if you complete the somewhat challenging trial, you can spend your gold/lumber to learn any of the spells. But might make it so there are seperate quests for the spells :)

Thanks for all your help and oppinions!

Doesnt seem to be a new idea really...

Status
Not open for further replies.