• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!

Original (I think) Map Idea!

Do you like this idea?

• Very!

Votes: 1 25.0%
  • Yes.

Votes: 3 75.0%
  • I'm not sure.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 4
Hey Hive!,

So I was in the process of creating my campaign when I started making one mission. You only have your hero and you have to purchase units from mercenary camps to defeat an enemy, much like one of the missions from the original Warcraft III Human Campaign, somewhere in Northrend if my memory serves me correctly.

Anyway, I was thinking about this when I had an idea for a map, or maps. The maps would be symmetrical and similar to regular melee maps. However, there would be no gold mines or base-building.

Each player chooses a hero at the start of the map. I thought, if I was going to create this map I wanted to create fully customized (triggered spells, etc.) heroes and keep it unique and original. Anyway, this hero is the only unit the player has to begin with.

Around the maps are mercenary camps (for example, Ogre Mounds, Troll Lumber Mills, Gnoll Huts) that the hero could train units from. The player would get gold periodically, as well as killing creeps and the enemy's units. Additionally, maps would have side objectives that reward gold and lumber. For example, a monster might spawn and whoever kills it first gets bonus gold, or an item, or some allies, etc.. One of these secondary objectives would be buildings around the map that are capturable by the hero. The player would get more gold periodically for the more captured buildings they have.

The main objective of the map, however, is to kill your opponent(s). I want the game to be heavily based on strategy, so each hireable unit will have unique abilities that counter other units, or support you and your allies. You'd have to spend your gold wisely to get the best out of the units available.

So to summarize the map, here are the features that would be included:

- Symmetrical terrain for balance. Around the map are three things: creep camps, mercenary camps and secondary objectives. Each map would have a unique secondary objective, much like Heroes of the Storm, and these objectives would grant you bonus gold.

- Heroes would be fully customized with triggered abilities, unique models and spell effects, etc. I would, of course, attempt to keep them original and fun, while staying balanced.

- The player would gain gold periodically (every 20 seconds or so). This allows a steady income, as well as opportunity for secondary objectives. Several capture-able buildings might be placed around one map, for example, and the more buildings captured by the player gives them more gold periodically (+5 or +10 per building, or so).

- Gold would be used to buy units from mercenary camps, which are essential for the game. Each unit would have unique abilities that can be used to counter enemy units, or support your own units. A secondary resource would replace Lumber (some form of points or special tokens) which could be used to train elite mercenaries. This secondary resource could only be collected through secondary objectives.

- Oh, and mercenary camps and creep camps would be completely randomized. So, you could never learn where the mercenary camps are, nor plan your strategy from the beginning. Some mercenary camps might not even be added in the map you play, or one map might be full of one mercenary camp (unlikely, but you get the point).

- Creep camps around the map would be respawned every few minutes, so there is always a limitless supply of experience to be gained.

TL;DR: Two or more players each choose a hero from a completely original, customized list of hero classes. Each player gains gold periodically in the map, which is used to hire mercenaries around the map. These mercenaries are used to help bring down your opponents. You can level your hero through the use of continuously spawning creep camps.

Tell me what you think, any suggestions are appreciated. Note that this IS just an idea, but it is VERY likely I will at least attempt to create this idea in Warcraft 3.

Level 4
Of course, this is just an idea :) If it has any similarities to any other games or maps created by others, that was completely unintentional. I'll check "Golden Chaos" out, and if it is too similar, I will make large changes to make sure I have a unique idea here and not a copy :)

Level 4
Ah yes, I looked at the map a bit and I'll play it sooner or later. Agreed, it doesn't seem too similar, but I understand how you found the similarities :)

Sound really interesting. Though, I would recommend not making the map for 5v5. Instead, make it for less players. Don't make it moba style either. You should also make it quite simple to play and not require much thinking, because nowadays people leave games that look too complicated ( at least on garena they do :( ). Anyway, that's just my opinion.
Good luck with your map!
*Quickly digs a drain and goes down the sewer*

Level 4
Easy to learn, difficulty to master <-- I understand this is the key to several forms of maps. Thanks for the feedback daverave1212 :)

Ardenian

A

Ardenian

It sounds interesting, but you can make a step forward, too.

Don't only customize the hero, but let the player customize it himself, what do you think ? Like in Custom Hero Line Wars, for example.

Also, may create more content in one map, don't split it up in many maps ( like a campaign). I would like to see, for example, a quest series and an or multiple additional quest series.

But would be interesting to play !

Status
Not open for further replies.