• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

[Altered Melee] Worth posting?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 4
So lately I have been messing around in the editor and making my own altered melee mod that is easily importable to other standard maps. It is just import object data, import files, and add hero dependencies. A friend said I should post it, but I wanted to ask here if it is worth it. Nothing in it is original, nothing. I claim no talent, just a desire to play and possible let others play the same maps I am.

For the most part, it adds 16 heroes from sources, and then adds a number of things in the pallete that can be put into maps, for example:
- a dozen new merc camps, organized by race (orc, tauren, pandaren, sylvan, ocean, and so on) that have 4 to 10 creep units not used that often
- a few marketplace alternatives, such as a scroll shop, potion shop, weapon store, etc

To change the maps I just make each marketplace a random building with all the item shops in the list, and make all mercenary camps a random merc camp from all the ones in the palette as well as the dozen I made.

Basically, I am trying to expand on melee maps without making changes to standard tech trees, units, etc, but instead new options for heroes and buildings and items, leaving the main gameplay the same but adding a little flavor with some unique merc units and such so each replay is a little different, leaving the standard strats intact (rushing to tavern/merc, leaving maps symmetrical ,etc)

I can add this to a typical map in like 5 minutes.

Is this worth posting? I can list credits for models and heroes I used but to be honest I used so many already if I have to ask permission then maybe it is better to just use myself.

Thanks for replies! AMAZING website btw!

Level 11
Well I'm no mod so I may reply something wrong, but I would upload your work if I were you. Maybe it will not be considered elaborate enough so it might be marked as substandard, but it will still be available and some people might want to try it out and enjoy it. :)
Maybe deepstrasz would share another view?

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 69
Level 4
Mostly a map, a folder with resources like models/icons for import, and a w3o file to import objects, and simple instructions on how to add heroes to dependances so they count against the limit... it would provide with a bunch of heroes and things that someone can import into a standard melee map within a few minutes to change the experience a bit with little to no effort. Over time I just plan on adding more and more heroes from various sources as well as different buildings that can be spawned randomly as I mentioned above. Additional things I had in mind were new items, especially items like different power up books, summoning items, and so on... maybe items like a portable way gate, etc. But mainly just stuff to add to standard melee maps to change them a little, as I enjoy being able to use standard strategy and units while playing. Different merc camps have been fun because you can an a few unexpected units to battle and make it interesting. I saw the computer running around with an ogre magi in his army the other day lol

Level 4
Various sources means other maps and mods from your site here? I am not looking for fame or credit for anything, but I am also not able or willing to just make heroes, I am looking for quick additions :) If this is unsuitable for posting I can just use it with my friends it's all good, but one said others might like it.

Level 4
Gotcha. I imported so many models and stuff I will just use it myself, no worries. I am a casual gamer and I thought maybe a disclaimer nothing was original would suffice, I don't have time or inclination to email 20 people. Glad I asked! Thanks for your consideration.

Status
Not open for further replies.