• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Camp Ideas

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 11
Hey guys, this is my first ever thread on HIVE, and I was hoping I could get some help from you good people :)

I'm working on a map that uses a Build Plot and Camp system similar to Edain Mod for BfME 2 (If anyone here has played that, they'll know what I mean. For those who have not, you obviously know what I mean by Build-Plots. By "Camps" I mean Build-Plots that can be captured by players and allow building of special structures. They can build small structures that either produce recourses or train one-or-two units. They are quite common).

However, I've no ideas of what camps I should use for the four races of Warcraft. Any help would be appreciated.

Note that I'm not using any custom models for this map (yet).

Also note that Ogres, Dragons, Naga, Demons, and Goblin units should not be suggested, as I already have plans for them in "Ouposts" (Larger and more rare versions of camps).

I need at least one structure for each race (Humans, Orcs, Undead, and Night Elves).

Thank you for your time. I'll try and be around for comments, but I might only reply tomorrow. Please inform me if I need to clarify anything :)

Bye for now!

Level 20
Is something confusing?
Yeah, man... for starters - WTF is a Build-Plot?! :D

Like, I'll be honest, I read the first post like 5 times and I still don't understand what you meant. All I got from your description is that you want some buildings that create a small number of units or maybe a bit of resources when they are constructed? I think the best way forward would be if you simpy described an example of such "camp", including how a player gets it, builds it and what it does. It should clear things up a lot :)

Level 11
Yeah, man... for starters - WTF is a Build-Plot?! :D

Like, I'll be honest, I read the first post like 5 times and I still don't understand what you meant. All I got from your description is that you want some buildings that create a small number of units or maybe a bit of resources when they are constructed? I think the best way forward would be if you simpy described an example of such "camp", including how a player gets it, builds it and what it does. It should clear things up a lot :)
Okay, while a "Build Plot" is usually some type of symbol on the ground that can be clicked on in strategy games to bring up a bunch of building-options (in my map, the build plots are circles of power. At the start of the game, you start with a town hall or equivalent surrounded by build plots. They can be upgraded into things like Barracks or recourse producing structures (thereby eliminating the need for builders).

Camps though, are basically neutral build plots that spawn all over the map. You can capture them to build special race-specific structures your build plots can't (for example, if you're a human, you can build a Elven Barracks, something you can't get in your base, that trains Elven Archers. Or you could build a Marketplace that produces gold and lumber).

The problem I'm facing is I need camp buildings for each race. While I could give Humans an Elven Barracks, I don't have other ideas for the additional three races.

Should I add this clarification to my main post?

Level 20
Should I add this clarification to my main post?
No need - the clarification is quite easy to find :)

Okay, so... Now that I think I understand what you mean, I think it would be cooler to make "camps" give more than just some resources or units :)

I take it that they can only be built in specific areas, so why not - for example - given them some "area control" effects, like blocking off a road or making the area more threatening to enemy units? :)

1. Undead:
  • Plague Spreader - spreads plague in an area around the structure, the plague deals damage to all non-friendly organic/living units
  • Gargoyle Nest - spawns with 3 Super Gargoyles in Stone Form that automatically transform into their flying form at sunset and return to their nest and transform into stone form each morning(i.e. beefier Gargoyles that are only useable at night)
  • Burial Mound - allows the user to buy different types of Skeleton troops (i.e. ones that aren't avaible by default)

2. Night Elves
  • Shrine of Cenarius - surrounded by dead trees, when captured gives the player the option to instantly regrow all trees, creating a natural obstacle
  • Obelisk of the Moon - when activated, it unlocks up to 3 smaller obelisks in the area that need to be repaired, if a smaller obelisk is repaired, an Owl will spawn at the main obelisk and it will patrol the route between it and the repaired smaller obelisk, granting you vision
  • Furbolg Den - allows the training of Furbolg units

---

I'll come back with Humans and Orcs later :)

Level 11
No need - the clarification is quite easy to find :)

Okay, so... Now that I think I understand what you mean, I think it would be cooler to make "camps" give more than just some resources or units :)

I take it that they can only be built in specific areas, so why not - for example - given them some "area control" effects, like blocking off a road or making the area more threatening to enemy units? :)

1. Undead:
  • Plague Spreader - spreads plague in an area around the structure, the plague deals damage to all non-friendly organic/living units
  • Gargoyle Nest - spawns with 3 Super Gargoyles in Stone Form that automatically transform into their flying form at sunset and return to their nest and transform into stone form each morning(i.e. beefier Gargoyles that are only useable at night)
  • Burial Mound - allows the user to buy different types of Skeleton troops (i.e. ones that aren't avaible by default)

2. Night Elves
  • Shrine of Cenarius - surrounded by dead trees, when captured gives the player the option to instantly regrow all trees, creating a natural obstacle
  • Obelisk of the Moon - when activated, it unlocks up to 3 smaller obelisks in the area that need to be repaired, if a smaller obelisk is repaired, an Owl will spawn at the main obelisk and it will patrol the route between it and the repaired smaller obelisk, granting you vision
  • Furbolg Den - allows the training of Furbolg units

---

I'll come back with Humans and Orcs later :)
It just so happens thst I have a Plague Spreader and a Gargoyle Nest already as normal base structures (Gargoyle nest is a bit different though). I like the Burial Mound.

I also like the Shrine of Cenarius idea, and the Furbolg Den was in my mind but I wasn't too sure. I'm not sure about the Obelisk of the Moon, but it sounds cool.

Thanks for the ideas, and I'm happily awaiting more :)

Level 20
Orcs
  • When it comes to units, it's quite easy to pick something - Ogres, Centaur, Kobolds, etc. - there's lots of races that would fit
  • Battleground - a small area surrounded by spiked barricades, gives bonus armor/attack damage to allies, harms enemies
  • Raider's Outpost - unlocks access to a small village that you can raid to get additional resources

Humans
  • Units - High Elves or Dwarves are a natural pick, through personally I'd go for renegade mages (the mounted ones) or bandits
  • Trader's Post - passively generates resources and allows trading gold for lumber and vice versa
  • Magistrate's Quarters - provides defenders (not controlled by the player) to the selected Build Plot

Level 11
Great ideas mate, thanks:)
Orcs
  • When it comes to units, it's quite easy to pick something - Ogres, Centaur, Kobolds, etc. - there's lots of races that would fit
  • Battleground - a small area surrounded by spiked barricades, gives bonus armor/attack damage to allies, harms enemies
  • Raider's Outpost - unlocks access to a small village that you can raid to get additional resources

Humans
  • Units - High Elves or Dwarves are a natural pick, through personally I'd go for renegade mages (the mounted ones) or bandits
  • Trader's Post - passively generates resources and allows trading gold for lumber and vice versa
  • Magistrate's Quarters - provides defenders (not controlled by the player) to the selected Build Plot

Level 28
Caravan Relay: Caravans spawn on map edges and head towards the Relay. When they make it to the relay they give gold, lumber and items (proportional to the caravan's total health). Enemies attacking the caravan gain a smaller amount of resources by attacking and killing the caravan.

Field Hospital: Grants a very high health regen in a small radius around the building.

Inventor's Workshop: Gives nearby mechanical units health regen and can give them a permanent damage bonus.

Gnoll Camp: Hires Gnolls to set up ambushes at preset locations. Gnolls aren't NH but still give gold to their killer.

Level 28
Kobold Mine: Provides periodicgold income. Income can be increased in exchange for large amounts of gold. If reduced to 0 HP, building is captured by the attacker instead of destroyed (can be collapsed by the owner).

Murloc Fishing Pool: Increases food, spawns Murloc defenders.

Inn: Sells food items, has a slow healing and mana regen aura.

Wizard Tower: Has a mana-regen aura. Can cast AoE spells at long range.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.