• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

[Role Playing Game] Order and Chaos Offline

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 1

I've just had an idea of recreating Order and Chaos Online in Warcraft III. And I have a few questions about it.

1. Which version of map editor should I use? I have 1.26a, 1.27b, 1.29.2, 1.31.1 and may get the Reforged. I don't really consider using older versions because the newer ones have more technical features.

2. Is it possible to make bigger and seamless maps (e.g. open-world)?

3. Should I simplify things and make buildings, mountains, villages, etc. smaller or it's better to make it as close to the original as possible? Both variants are actually good, but I'd like to hear different opinions about it.

4. Is it legal to get 3D assets, music and sounds from the original game and put them to my custom map? First I wanted to use standard assets, but then realised I can do this. Btw Gameloft does not spread it's products in my country (not any longer) so it MIGHT be not that bad.

It's so sad to see your favourite MMORPG died because of the greed of the developers. If I have enough time and desire, I'll be making the whole world of Haradon in Warcraft III.

Uncle

Warcraft Moderator
Level 64
1) 1.31+ ideally using Lua as your scripting language if you want all of the new toys. HOWEVER, if you're a GUI user I'd stick with Jass (the default language).

2) No, the max map size is 480x480. Tricks you can do: Make objects smaller, reduce movement speed overall, and zoom in the camera. Also, you can use a Save/Load system to carry progress between different maps but it wouldn't be seamless, you'd have to still manually pick and play a different map of your choosing.

3) Can't comment on this as I've never played the game.

4) It may be illegal but it's certainly not going to get you in trouble in my opinion. Nobody is monitoring Warcraft 3 custom games.

Status
Not open for further replies.