• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Only render in region?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 7
I'm developing a TPS, (Station 12) but FPS is slowing significantly when looking towards the center of the map. Are there any tricks to boost FPS? Right now, the only action I've taken is camera far clip, but it doesn't seem to do much.

Level 5
well this problem plagued the performance of a lot of MMO's, where the engine would render things that were normally occluded. I know that units and buildings in SC2 have an occlusion height, so if your map uses the standard fog of war then it might help if you used occluder heights and eye heights on your units. How it works is basically:

if unit A has eye height < unit B's occluder height, then unit A cannot see behind unit B

if unit A has eye height > unit B's occluder height, then unit B doesnt block A's LOS

but since all game data (including units inside the fog) is stored client-side and not server-side, the engine will store and may try to render anything within the screen bounds even if it is not actually visible

Level 7
well this problem plagued the performance of a lot of MMO's, where the engine would render things that were normally occluded. I know that units and buildings in SC2 have an occlusion height, so if your map uses the standard fog of war then it might help if you used occluder heights and eye heights on your units. How it works is basically:

if unit A has eye height < unit B's occluder height, then unit A cannot see behind unit B

if unit A has eye height > unit B's occluder height, then unit B doesnt block A's LOS

but since all game data (including units inside the fog) is stored client-side and not server-side, the engine will store and may try to render anything within the screen bounds even if it is not actually visible

Yeah, I see what you're saying. Does a custom script exist in which all doodads in a specific region may be hidden? Would that help at all?

Status
Not open for further replies.