• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

On the importance of leaks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 7
I have a question about leaks and their importance.

Technically, in 30-60 minute maps, isn't it really difficult to amass such an amount of leaks that it actually has an effect on game performance? It seems that Blizzard didn't much care for those leaks, as seen in the accessible prologue campaign.

Also, side-question - for a single-player map/campaign, it's not really important to make an ability be able to be used simultaneously by two different characters - if only one hero has the ability, right?

Level 21
I have a question about leaks and their importance.

Technically, in 30-60 minute maps, isn't it really difficult to amass such an amount of leaks that it actually has an effect on game performance? It seems that Blizzard didn't much care for those leaks, as seen in the accessible prologue campaign.

Also, side-question - for a single-player map/campaign, it's not really important to make an ability be able to be used simultaneously by two different characters - if only one hero has the ability, right?

Basically it's always good practice to remove leaks, but yes, it doesn't matter if a few remain uncleared.
What you should pay lots of attention to are loops(unit loops too) and periodic triggers, cos they have the ability to quickly amass massive amounts of leaks.
And yes, if only one unit has the ability, then MUI is not necessary.

Level 28
It's totally easy to accumulate leaks but the importance is rather aimed at multiplayer campaigns and what you're actually doing.
If you order any unit to move to X without cleaning the leaks a few times, it won't affect the performance whereas creating 40 units ever 0.04s and have them move to random points on the map does.

No, an ability doesn't need to be MUI is there's only one hero who's able of casting it and no parameters are modified during the spell.

Level 21
I once made a spell that crashed the game if cast 4-5 times.
Why? Cos the spell created 7 dummy units, moved each of them 33 times per second, using 2 locations, checking if they hit something(1 unit group).

So basically over 600 leaks per second.

Level 7
I once made a spell that crashed the game if cast 4-5 times.
Why? Cos the spell created 7 dummy units, moved each of them 33 times per second, using 2 locations, checking if they hit something(1 unit group).

So basically over 600 leaks per second.

Aah :D

Well I'm planning on nothing as fancy. Usually the extent of my triggers is creating a dummy unit that casts an ability, or at most several units that cast an ability.

But I have bookmarked the "things that leak" thread so I'll do my best to keep the leaks to a minimum.

Thanks, everyone! ^^

Status
Not open for further replies.