• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Oldskool Vs. Newage games (poll)

Best console games

• Calico

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Atari

• NES

Votes: 2 7.1%
  • SNES

Votes: 4 14.3%
  • SEGA megadrive

Votes: 1 3.6%
  • Gamecube

• PS/PS2

Votes: 5 17.9%
  • XBOX

• PC

Votes: 6 21.4%
  • Other

• N64

Votes: 4 14.3%
  • GB/GBC/GBA

• Dreamcast

• SEGA other

• I like only next gen systems (WII/Xbox360/PS3)

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 9
Each gaming console had it's perks. NES has unbeatable games for those who were brought up on any technology after it. Sega and SNES just rocked. Gamecube had great Mario and Starwars games. And although i never got into PS or XBOX, their games seem to be all about detail, or in other words, show-off of graphic detail rather than an enjoyable experience. The latter two just seem to produce similar games with different skins and other basic commodities and for what? A measly 30 minutes of gameplay (yes, i saw a friend beat the horrible-from-it's-beginning Fight Club (XBOX) in 30 minutes.. And no, folks, he wasn't trying, he was reading the plot half the time).

I asked him to play a few of the almost 200 NES games i had at the time. I bet him he couldn't beat even one.
Shortly thereafter he was screaming at the TV set, throwing in cartridges one after the other after dying over and over in such a short time.
His ultimate defense was that the "levels" are repititious, so beating one level is practically the same as beating them all. I guess that excuse can slide for most NES games, though he did yell at the screen like he always does when he gets deeply focused in a game.

Who can forget Sonic Spinball (Sega) and the rest of the Sonic tales(pun)!

Then, of course, aside from the consoles i chose not to mention, there is the PC. The almighty Personal Computer which may not be so mighty.. No matter, it's potential is stellar.
Nowadays you can install some emulators and play every single not-for-PC console game ever made, or play any half-ass game a first-year graduate in programming made to hone his ability by reinventing pong.
Then of course there are the hacks and cracks. They are not as fearful when you say "mods". No, but with that potential, which is just the imagination of these programmers manifest, there is an almost endless possibility factor to actually making one's imagination manifest. Gotta love the hackers, my friends, not the laws which try to restrict the mind!

So the poll is to figure out which console had the best games. If i said vote for the console with the best potential and which console had the games that stuck in your mind the most, i'd personally be voting for three systems.

Best potential.. obvious.
Best games.. Close call but i'm going to say SNES over Sega (Secret of Mana and Super Metroid come to mind before others).
Best memories.. I grew up on NES.

Level 36
WHOA WHOA WHOA. Where is the N64? Everyone knows that all of the best games made in the 90's were on the 64. You have Orcarina of Time, Super Mario 64, Goldeneye 64, Mario Kart 64, Mario Party, Banjo Kazooie, Mortal Kombat 64, Starfox 64, etc, etc.

Anyway, a lot of kickass games came out on it, and definetly the best games of the 90's could be found there.

Level 7
Guys I think its impossible to say which console is the best because everyone of us like other things. I spend the best hours of my life playing on PSX (Playstation1;) games like: Final Fantasy VII,FFVIII, Metal Gear Solid, Tekken 3, Gran Turismo 1&2 and many others. Now im playing on PS2 which is gr8 too games like FFX,FFXII, GT5, Tekken 5, Socom 1,2,3,CA, Soul Caliburs there is mass great games for all consoles but i think the best is PSX and PS2;. brad.dude03 noticed that there is N64 missed and what about Commodore,Amiga there was many platforms...

Last edited:
Level 9
WHOA WHOA WHOA. Where is the N64? Everyone knows that all of the best games made in the 90's were on the 64. You have Orcarina of Time, Super Mario 64, Goldeneye 64, Mario Kart 64, Mario Party, Banjo Kazooie, Mortal Kombat 64, Starfox 64, etc, etc.

Anyway, a lot of kickass games came out on it, and definetly the best games of the 90's could be found there.

Damn i forgot about that.. And i knew i was forggeting one when i made the poll.. Sorry.

invalidatedurlbecauseitisillegal

Download all the console game roms you could want! And the emulators to play them. The last one i played was Super Mario 64 :D

Again, i forgot N64, as for the others there is the "other" option :D

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey! Emulators are free to use.
It's the commercial roms/ISO:s that are considered as warez.

Ontopic: I voted for NES, because it was the console I started with, and many awesome games I played were from it. Before, we had a console machine with 14 different types of colored Pong games (I don't know where it is now and I don't know if it's broken or not).

Level 5
I voted for Sega Genesis (Megadrive) because it had one of the best games (in my P.o.V) like Shining Force. Street of Rage, and Phantasy Star. Hell, these games had influences on future games such as Final Fantasy 7 or Suikoden 3.

Last edited:
Level 2
Mmm...that's a toughie. I'm stuck between three consoles. XD

SNES: It's just classic(I remember my father buying it when I was in kindergarden XD) and has some of the best games in RPG history: Tales of Phantasia[okay, technically Super Famicon, but still], Super Mario RPG, Chrono Trigger, Seiken Densetsu 2, FFVI, Ogre Battle: March of the Black Queen. Need I say more?

N64: Ocarina of Time, Goldeneye, Star Wars Rogue Squadron, Mario Kart, even obscure games like Aidyn's Chronicle(still the single-most difficult RPG I have ever played)...what's not to love?

PS1: Sure, you have the well-known classics: FFVII-IX, Suikoden, Star Ocean, Chrono Cross, Xenosaga, etc. And then a few cult classics: Legend of Dragoon[one of my most favourite RPGs to date], Valkyrie Profile, Vagrant Story, Persona, Parasite Eve. Throw in a few remakes to some great games(Chrono Trigger, FFIV and VI, Tales of Phantasia) and...wow, awesomeness insues.

*is definitely a Square/Squaresoft whore XD*

Level 34
Man, I hate PS1. N64 is way better. But then Nintendo lost their touch. PS2 owned the cube.

Level 9
Nintendo, more specifically the comission that deals with this kind of stuff, said that Nintendo did not want CERTAIN roms to be distributed, including any Super Mario or Super Metroid roms, as well as a few others. Why would they bother caling out a few and not all?

Gilles, i agree, i thought GameCube had far better games than PS1.

Level 36
Well certainly not the PS3 since it's made of epic fail. I mean sure, Ratchet and Clank, but that's it. They've got nothing else. Wii and 360 already have amazing games and a huge lead, so Sony will need to pull something out of their ass bigtime if they wanna win.

But this isn't a thread about Console Wars. It's a thread about old vs. new games.

Level 4
N64 was the golden age. It probably had one of the best Zelda games of all time and some of it's other games were good also. Nintendo sorta failed to make the gamecube a super fun thing, but it was ok while it lasted.

Level 6
Yes, I voted for the psx/ps2 combo meal. I mean all those countless rpgs and wasted hours playing them throughout my life. Closest system to sucking up that much of my life would have to be SNES or N64. SNES had Super Mario RPG, Donkey Kong Country, and Super Mario Allstars. That's all I needed for a good time. While N64 has 2 of the most challenging Zelda games I've played. I still haven't beaten Majora's Mask. Compared to Twilight Princess and Phantom Hourglass with their easy ass bosses. Otherwise you did miss the Neo Geo AES system and Neo Geo CD system. And the Turbo Graphix.

Lee

Lee

Level 2
My choice for best system was the SNES, mostly because I enjoy RPGs and the best RPGs ever made on a console were made on the SNES (except for the Suikoden series).

Status
Not open for further replies.