• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Okay, now my heart is beating!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 25
Wc3:WoW is pretty much completely free. Only thing you really have to pay for is WarCraft III: Reign of Chaos and WarCraft III: The Frozen Throne, since you need both of those two games installed in order to play Wc3:WoW.

It is illegal for anyone to force anyone to pay for their mod with just about any game, including WarCraft III. In fact, Blizzard Entertainment has shut a few other maps and mods down in the past for putting a price on their projects. Wc3:WoW respects Blizzard Entertainment's Terms of Use, End User License Agreement, and so forth. We're pretty much helping them out with Wc3:WoW, we think, since it will eventually become good enough to the point where players who have never tried WoW but have played Wc3:WoW may actually consider playing World of Warcraft instead.

World of Warcraft is hands-down always going to be better than Wc3:WoW. The WarCraft III engine is extremely limited and the fact that it is single player makes the development of this mod even more difficult to make the mod fun and interactive. Nevertheless, our goal is to make this one of the most entertaining single player RPGs ever created for WarCraft III. It's already the best WoW replica mod, but what we've got so far is hardly enough, in my opinion...

Anyway, in short, Wc3:WoW is a free WarCraft III: The Frozen Throne mod.

Level 25
Hmm... it's still unbelievable. Seems like such a thing would violate some rules or Terms of Use Agreement or End User License Agreement. I'll look into it.

But don't expect us making Wc3:WoW for StarCraft II. I'm almost positive I will never decide to do that, since there's so much more models and textures we'd have to create that WarCraft III already gives us. And of course, I'm working on this mod for the fun of it and the experience. I think having such a mod under my belt may actually benefit my job resumes for game developer applications. Otherwise, at least it was fun while we were making it.

Level 25
That's actually bullshit. I wouldn't pay for a mod, especially if I don't even know if it's good or not.

QFT.

Beneficial for mod creators, but not for the players. A mod like Wc3:WoW is purely for the players and would be free regardless even if it was legal to put a price on it. One of the main purposes of Wc3:WoW is to provide players with a free, lower-file size version of Wc3:WoW. Sure, it's lower quality and smaller and lacks plenty of stuff but hey... pay fifteen dollars a month (or play on some shitty private server) or play Wc3:WoW for free. :wink:

Level 12
What do you do before you buy a game usually? Go to gametrailers.com and watch some playthroughs? Go to youtube and watch some playthroughs? Couldn't you do the same thing with mods. Most people would post a video of their mod anyways (to show it off and attract players). So I don't see how that is the issue. The issue is you love free stuff (just like us all) and if somebody makes a map you would really enjoy playing, you MIGHT have to pay for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.