• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Oinkerwinkle's Anim Transfer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 10
Hello to anyone reading this!
I have a quick problem that needs to be solved. To make models, I use a combination of Magos' Model Editor and Oinkerwinkle's tools. However, when I use the Animatio Transfer to transfer a single animation from one model to another, and then open it in Model Editor, I get an error message and the Editor refuses to ope it. I thought it might be a problem with an existing animation already (treansferring an attack animation to a model that already has an attack animation, for example), but removing the offending animation did not help. Could a more experienced modeler please help?
To show my thanks, anyone who attempts to help me will recieve +rep.

Level 26
this problem usually always happens, because there are certain requirements:

1: the names of the bones of model A(the model that should get the anims) and model B(the model that gives the anims) have to be the same. To fix it you have to do the following(but this method only works if model A uses bones called "bone_###" and model B uses helper called "bone_###" or vice versa):
-1. convert both models to mdl format
-2. open both models with notepad
-3. select edit-> replace and write in the search field "helper" and in the replacement field "bone"
-4. save

2: the animations have to use the same interpolations type. With mdlvis you could change the type to linear which will also reduce the file size ( but sometimes the animation will look a tad worse, but still acceptable)
do the following:
-1. convert the models to mdx format again
-2. open both models with mdlvis and select Optimization-> Optimizer
-3. disable the "Canonization" and the "Delete repeat geosets" option and enable the "Linearize animations" option
-4. save

3: now you can make a working single animation transfer, but in case you want to make more than 1 transfer you will have to convert the model file to mdx and back to mdl.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.