1. Updated Resource Submission Rules: All model & skin resource submissions must now include an in-game screenshot. This is to help speed up the moderation process and to show how the model and/or texture looks like from the in-game camera.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. DID YOU KNOW - That you can unlock new rank icons by posting on the forums or winning contests? Click here to customize your rank or read our User Rank Policy to see a list of ranks that you can unlock. Have you won a contest and still havn't received your rank award? Then please contact the administration.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. The Lich King demands your service! We've reached the 19th edition of the Icon Contest. Come along and make some chilling servants for the one true king.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. The 4th SFX Contest has started. Be sure to participate and have a fun factor in it.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. The poll for the 21st Terraining Contest is LIVE. Be sure to check out the entries and vote for one.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. The results are out! Check them out.
    Dismiss Notice
  7. Don’t forget to sign up for the Hive Cup. There’s a 555 EUR prize pool. Sign up now!
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The Hive Workshop Cup contest results have been announced! See the maps that'll be featured in the Hive Workshop Cup tournament!
    Dismiss Notice
  9. Check out the Staff job openings thread.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
60,000 passwords have been reset on July 8, 2019. If you cannot login, read this.

Occassional slowdowns in UE3 based games.

Discussion in 'Computer Tech' started by I)eadnerzhul, Jan 12, 2010.

1. I)eadnerzhul

I)eadnerzhul

Resources:
    Resources:
    In various UE3 based games such as Mass Effect, Bioshock, and sometimes even Unreal Tournament 3, I get this sort of "slowdown" that lasts for 10-20 seconds, which cuts down my FPS to like 1. Now my computer can easily max these games out (I get about 40-50 FPS in UT3, for example), so that isn't the problem. Any suggestions?

2. Kercyn

Kercyn

Resources:
    Resources:
    Hm, maybe it's because your computer executes another application/service/something or maybe there's an explosion or something else that requires additional graphic power? Maybe it's an engine fault, dunno :/

3. The Reborn Devil

The Reborn Devil

Resources:
    Resources:
    Do you got some sort of anti-virus? Most anti-viruses (excluding Norton Internet Security 2009) can greatly reduce your performance for some time if they suddenly try to search something, or if they do an update.

4. I)eadnerzhul

I)eadnerzhul

Resources:
    Resources:
    That might be it, but I doubt it.

5. BlargHonk

BlargHonk

Resources:
    Resources:
    Did you have PhysX turned on without a Nvidia (At least one of those games I know supports it)

6. I)eadnerzhul

I)eadnerzhul

Resources:
    Resources:
    No, I have an Nvidia 8-series card and most of those games don't have PhysX.

7. BlargHonk

BlargHonk

Resources:
    Resources:
    Wait, Labtop?

Give me an exact spec sheet plox

Edit: One minute response time ftw

8. I)eadnerzhul

I)eadnerzhul

Resources:
    Resources:
    It's a desktop. Here are my specs...

CPU: AMD Anthlon 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 5200+ 2.7 GHZ
    2048 MB RAM
    GPU: Nvidia 8600 GT 512 MB Direct X 9
    Windows XP SP3

I can max out Unreal Tournament 3 with 1280 x 720, antialiasing, motion blur, and AF and get a stable framerate of 30-40 FPS.
    I can run Crysis at mostly medium settings, with textures, lighting or whatever and particle effects on high, at 20-25 FPS. Same with Far Cry 2.

9. BlargHonk

BlargHonk

Resources:
    Resources:
    Hmmmm, I have heard of problems with the Labtop 8600GT, but not the Desktop, let me do some searching

Ok, turns out the problems that the G84M chips have carry over to the G84, but not as much, basically it is a major overheating issue, you got adequate cooling on it?

10. I)eadnerzhul

I)eadnerzhul

Resources:
    Resources:
    I think so. How could I check that?

11. The Reborn Devil

The Reborn Devil

Resources:
    Resources:
    If you got an NVidia GPU you should have gotten a program called NVidia Configuration Panel (or something) which allows you to monitor the heat of the GPU.

12. BlargHonk

BlargHonk

Resources:
    Resources:
    Yep, thought there might be something like that on the drivers

But it seems every time I I get a new computer, ATI is in the lead, seriously, 9 series, X1 series, and now HD4 series......

Only Nvidia I have is in a labtop that broke because it had a NVS135M (Workstation 8400M GS) and it had the same problem I think you are having now, it applies to all G84/86 based GPUS, which range from the 8300GS to 8600GTS (Excluding 8400GS, that is G98) and their drivers didn't have it, thought it was because it was a workstation, and I was proved right :p

Interestingly enough, the 8300-8500's are G86, while the 8600's are G84, kinda funny when you look at it

Last edited: Jan 18, 2010
  13. I)eadnerzhul

I)eadnerzhul

Resources:
    Resources:
    Well, it turns out the problem is not with the engine- before I could run Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare without a hitch, but now I get slowdowns similar to the ones I get in other next-gen games. I thought I fixed the problem by cleaning the dust out of my graphics card's fans, but it seems to have done nothing. Any ideas?

14. Kercyn

Kercyn

Resources:
    Resources:
    Have you scanned for computer for malware? Usually, they are to blame for unexplained slowdowns.

15. BlargHonk

BlargHonk

Resources:
    Resources:
    I told you, overheating caused the defective parts within the chip to degrade further, it is going to go into a cycle of decay soon.

If it is under warranty, send it in, they know all about this problem with the 8M's