• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Cursed with slow 2D graphics from Direct3D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
For some time now (never used to happen) I have been having trouble with some types of 2D graphics (many thoughs from Direct3D) preforming badly and giving unbarable framerates. Before you say it is because my computer is a piece of *ç%&, it is not.

Pentium 4 processor at 3 GHZ with HT
Nvedia geforce 7 - 7800gs card (AGP)
2 GB ram (2*512MB + 1*1024MB)
Enough free hard disk space (20GB or more)
Lattest updates for drivers (dought this is the trouble)
Windows XP SP2 with all updates

I have these running in the background
Zone Alarm Pro
Norton antivirus
Nvidia controle pannel (needed to run graphics)

This computer can easily run oblivion at almost maximum settings at 1280*1024*32 with HDlighting enabled.
It also easily runs C&C3 at high settings with only slow down being caused by the CPU being slow.

But it can not run at full or even high FPS the following.
Diablo II + LOD in Direct3D mode, if there are a lot of objects (over 5 badies onscreeen) I get 15 FPS, worse with perspective mode enabled (7 FPS in combat). Works fine with MAX fps no matter what in DirectDraw mode although it says Direct3D is my recomended mode to use.
TES oblivion during the main menu background and the movies, the audio is messedup due to frames are being skipped (a few every 2 seconds), ingame runs fine with 30 FPS on average.
Supreme Commander, all the movies and talking and main menu background (even load screen), run with major frames being skipped and resulting in audio being lost and looking really bad.
Rise of Nations-Rise of Legends experiences problems simlar to TES oblivion, the menue and movies suffer VERY baddly and run with half the frames being skipped while ingame runs perfectly with all options on max.

But not all movies and animations give problems.
C&C3 works perfectly, all movies and menues run at full FPS with no slowdown at all.
More examples I lack at hand but that is the most major of them.

I have no clue what is wrong but it seems something to do with Direct 3D and the joke is that the following computer.
P4 2.4 GHZ (NO HT)
Nvidia Geforce 4 4800
768 MB ram
Little Free Hard Disk space (less than 10 GB)
Old drivers
With the same background programs running.

Runs diablo II + LOD in Direct 3D mode with perspectives active at NO LESS than 30 FPS no matter what is on the screen.
It also runs Rise of Nations-Rise of Legends backgrounds and movies at full FPS with no slowdown yet gets LOW with slow FPS ingame.

I can find no help on the internet so I am starting asking around, starting here fisrt. So far the only possiable cause I can think is that something is messed with my HT on my core since only half the core was fully loaded when running the supreme commander movies and such. All other games do not support windowed so I could not test them. But this is really irritating me and stops me from enjoying games, and it is only games that have the trouble, other propper movies work PERFECTLY. I am sure there is an Easy fix and a LAP TOP with a SLOWER graphic card but slightly faster CPU (3.4 GHZ P4 with HT) can run supreme commander's movies perfectly and loading screen smoothly with no slowdown at all. Any help would be appreciated in how to boost the preformance of the above problems, and I do understand if you do not have a clue since I COULD NOT find anything or anyone with a simlar problem. It is wierd that the very things that slow computers have no problem with I am having trouble with. Solving this may even boost ingame preformance overall to so please try and help.

Level 15
Ok try this
go to the root directroy of where dibalo is or whaever and right click on the exe for dibalo

you are looking for compatibility mode try setting it to ME
for TES4 try turnig off your virus shildes when playing some shilds think it's a trogen

also you might want to get more phiscal harddrive space to give the gmes a bigger swapfile

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
With TES4 I found out it is some issue with bink movies in all games, if I run them out of the game they work fine.
Now with TES4 I have major slow problem, of 10 FPS but even if i set everything to low it is still 10 FPS, it seems some driver bug but meh, 10 fps is ok and I hardly play it that much.
27GB free is more than enough free space, so there is no problem there.

It is obvious that the AGP slot and slow memory and single HT core I have does not make it to the next generation game type. My next PC will almost definatly have no low FPS problems, but compatilibity will be more of a problem.

Level 6
He knows that. It doesn't matter though, the Geforce 7800 is still a good card.

And he already stated that he had the latest drivers.

I can't think of any way to help though :(
yea well some people say they got the drivers but they dont get the card or dx9(dx10 yay for vista and geforce 8800gts:p)

could be dust?
when i had wow on my old pc it got tons of dust and strange stuff like that use to happen before the card just stoped working......cleaned all the dust out and it was fine :infl_thumbs_up:
make sure their is nuthing lose cuz somtimes after like 2 years or w/e parts can come lose depending on your mobo(that use to happen a lot for me)
make sure the cable(power eg) are in right.

but i think its got to do with drivers...
http://www.nvidia.com/object/winxp_163.71.html
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...cb-4362-4b0d-8edd-aab15c5e04f5&displaylang=en
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...cb-4362-4b0d-8edd-aab15c5e04f5&displaylang=en

hope this helps ya :)
cuz i find alot of people saying they got the latest drivers and such but they never get theses type :p

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
DesKaladA, you have not helped me at all, sorry.

TES4 is mode for XP thus no compatibility mode is needed.

ace992, dust can not possiably be causing it, since my computer is dusted regually and is near a dust filter.

The problem with movies is caused by my stupid AGP card and its memory buffer and my motherboard being so hard to do anything with its BIOS.

Level 6
ok all i can recommend it upgrade :) it only cost me like 1200 to build my gaming pc but my cpu sucks :)
did your old games use to work on your card? cuz if its a upgrade thye might not like it :*(
e.g homeworld 2 works 100% upgraded to my 8800gts still have on max settings but but i get bad fps but on newer game 100% fine even with vista)

Last edited:

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
My next PC will be vista, so I will only get it atleast when SP1 is out since that should really help. Also I am hoping for a quad core with a nvedia 9800 DX10.1 card so that it will be able to max anything that can be thrown at it for atleast 1-2 years. But this is totaly off the topic.

Level 36
Your topic has died.

Quad Core is... meh... I mean the Core 2 Extreme is good, but right now Quad cannot be taken advantage of in games, games are just starting to become good with Dual, it will be a while before they can fully use Quad.

The 9800 will be interesting, but i'm really looking forward to see what ATi has up their sleeve. I have an HD2600, which works great, but the fact remains that it isn't top of the line. The problem is that their HD2900, the top of the line, sucks balls.

Hopefully the next gen of ATi will be better, though I don't have ANY complaints about my HD2600XT. I might Crossfire it.... but if the new ATi's turn out good, i'll probably buy one of those.

Also, you should probably just dual boot. Even after SP1, it will still be a long time before Microsoft has the OS running perfect. XP is still great, and it will run like a dream with your new hardware. Dual boot lets you do both, awesome DX9 and XP, plus DX10 gaming.

Status
Not open for further replies.