• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Serious Slowdown / FPS Loss When Lots of Units are On Screen / Lots of Triggers Are Going On

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 14
This only started happening recently, with all maps. But when a lot of units are on the map or a lot in general is going on, I drastically lose FPS.

My computer can run GTA V on max graphics, so it definitely isn't my computer, also this slowdown didn't start happening until roughly a week or so ago. Is there a fix for this? I've already gone into regedit and set max fps to 0 and such, but it still hasn't improved the performance.

~El

Level 17
This only started happening recently, with all maps. But when a lot of units are on the map or a lot in general is going on, I drastically lose FPS.

My computer can run GTA V on max graphics, so it definitely isn't my computer, also this slowdown didn't start happening until roughly a week or so ago. Is there a fix for this? I've already gone into regedit and set max fps to 0 and such, but it still hasn't improved the performance.

WC3 has an ancient, single-threaded engine that does not take advantage of modern hardware's capabilities.

This is just par for the course when lots of things are happening on screen. WC3 isn't built to handle it.

~El

Level 17
This never used to happen though, this is a brand new problem.

Probably just new performance regressions thanks to the patches, especially the new systems that were revamped, i.e. CASC and Audio. It's hard to tell. I've noticed the game becoming noticeably slower on some actions as well.

There's one hypothesis that could be related to bad triggering - all triggers have an "instruction execution limit". If a trigger goes over that limit, which was around 300,000 instructions, it is terminated prematurely. In patch 1.29 it was raised to 3,000,000. If there's triggers in that map that can go into unintended infinite loops, this could easily explain why you're seeing a regression.

Other than that, make a bug report giving the map in particular and explaining that it has a performance regression between versions 1.x and 1.y.

Status
Not open for further replies.