• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

How important is the base ability?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 13
I'm rather confused, I had a spell that from a Handle Counter was still leaking about 100 times and I figured it was the reason for my FPS drop in game. However I changed the base ability from Shockwave to Breath of Fire and suddenly the FPS issue is gone. It still leaks about 100 times a cast, but prior after about 10 casts my FPS would drop from 60 to 25. Now I can cast 20 times and have 0 drop in FPS. In the guide about What Leaks it does say that shockwave creates a SMALL permanent leak, but what's the deal here? Is it possible that the 0 missile speed and 0 art were causing some sort of problem? (However I've used a dummy shockwave before without issue). I'm rather stumped I'm not looking for trigger help I'm just baffled as to how changing from shockwave to breath of fire could have such a dramatic difference. And if any type of explanation is known...

Level 26
Shockwave causes a terrain deformation and ground-anchored doodads on the map have to calculate if their pitch/roll changes accordingly. Blizzard seems to have programmed this quite inefficiently. That is why most people try to avoid deformations. It should not evoke leaks though.

Level 30
Everything that causes movements or deformations in the terrain will lag or FPS drop will occur. When you changed it to Breath of Fire, of course it doesnt have any Deformation after effects so you are not in risk of lagging at all

Status
Not open for further replies.