• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Object Editor not working with siege engine

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 3
Hello Hive,

I recently downgraded from patch 1.31 because it was just not agreeing with my system. I couldn't import models, access mpq files, or use game cache, and that was a no for me. Recently though, I tried using object editor on an old map and for some reason I cannot modify the siege engine unit. I tried making a custom unit based on the siege engine as well, but that didn't work either. It refused to do basic straightforward tasks like simply changing the name, or setting base health. At first I thought something was wrong with OE, but than I tried making another custom unit and changed its name and all was well. Is there any reason anyone can think of why siege engine unit would not be able to be edited???

I mean, I can easily go around the problem with making another unit with similar stats and just giving it the siege engine model (which I've already done), but not knowing why is going to bug me, especially if there's more surprises in wait:/

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 63
Is there any reason anyone can think of why siege engine unit would not be able to be edited???
Might have something to do with how it was changed between RoC and TFT. It was one of the units which was heavily overhauled.

That said we can only really help you running the latest version of Warcraft III such as 1.31.1 since this might be a bug with the particular version you are using.

Level 3
I thought that maybe it might be a RoC/TFT thing, but I'm pretty sure that I was able to successfully edit other models like the catapult/demolisher and I think the flying machine/Gyrocopter too.

Well it's not an emergency yet, but I hate how it seems like you have to sacrifice something every time you add/remove a patch. I would just like to be able to finish a map one time without having to search online for hours and patch a bunch of duct tape on it to make it run smoothly. I've pretty much given up on campaigns entirely. Weeks and weeks of hard work going down the toilet there...

Uncle

Warcraft Moderator
Level 64
Were you using the correct Editor when you patched to 1.31? You've got two editors now, one in the x86 folder (32bit) and one in the x86_64 folder (64bit). Also, you can access CASC files (models, textures, icons, etc) with a program like Retera's Model Studio.

And is your work actually lost? You can export trigger/object data.

Level 3
I'm pretty sure that I deleted everything in my folders wc3 related except for my custom stuff. I don't see x86_64 folder at least. I have the game on discs, so I just reinstalled them the old fashioned way, then I wanted to be able to play rexxar campaign and have all the heroes in my tavern and what not so I downloaded game patched up to 1.30 from the hive. But then I had 2 warcrafts installed, so I thought maybe that might have been the problem? I had another problem earlier where I didn't realize I was using the oldest editor and my imports weren't working, but I figured that out. Then I had this problem with the siege engine, and I thought maybe it was because I had the 2 versions installed? I'm not great with computers... but I tried deleting the older game to see if that'd fix it with no luck. Sadly, I forgot to save the mpq files /sigh, but I can still open import models on viewer so there's that. Patch 1.30 doesn't seem to use mpq files from what I can tell, or at least I can't find them on it.

So I guess I'm having a few different issues, but it's still better than game cache and imports not working at all like in 1.31

Level 2
Hi,

I'm taking the liberty to bump this as I have encountered this issue but found the source.

Such a weird one, I would try to modify a siege engine or even the war wagon from the campaign but oddly enough it doesn't do anything, what is going on ?
I had to create a replica of a siege engine using another unit as a base to make it work again. That prove itself successful even though it's annoying to set up.

But when I added the normal abilities that a siege engine normally has is when things got weird. As I added the "Chaos" ability to my new unit, ingame, the unit just resets to a regular siege engine ugh ???????
So what I have to do to make it work is to not use that Chaos ability.

Weird.

Status
Not open for further replies.