• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

[Object Editor] Normal or Custom (?)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 16
Moin moin =)

I have a question about the object editor:

Is it better to create directly a new unit ( with the button "New Custom Unit") or is it better, only to change values of the normal units (Standard Units)? or is there no difference?

I ask, because I don't know if I can increase with one of the two ways or if I would use some Tools ( like protection tool ), if something works better or about the map size or is there any difference at all and so on...

( Same question not just with units, with abilities and buffs and so on )

Hope you understand what I want ask and can help me ^^

Greetings and thanks
Dr. Boom

Level 33
Copy and Pasting makes our job easier too
It is automatically organized into Custom Units/Abilities/Buffs/etc folder
But remember, it will create twice the size of the unit itself, that is the disadvantage of Copy and Pasting an existing Unit/etc

Level 16
Moin moin =)

Ok that's some useful information up to now, thank you =)

The think is, HOW MUCH the size will be increased? Because I remake my TD map (hosted here for long time) and I plan to create 45 wave units, around 50 towers with 3 abilities each towertype and buffs and destructible and so on

Greetings and Thanks
~ The Boom

Level 37
I just did a quick test, I created a blank 64x64 map with nothing modded. It took 16,363 kilobytes of memory. I Copy pasted one footman and edited it, then took 49 copies of it, a total of 50 custom units. The map now took a whopping 16,952 kilobytes.

Custom units won't increase map size that much.

Status
Not open for further replies.