• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Now have some guts and answer this

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 9
You didn't answer the question.
So I'm supposed to say why people view sex as something important?
I'm sure everyone has different reasons.

You use the phrase "legitimate reasons". Could you consider a reason that you disagree with to be a legitimate one?

So far I haven't seen anyone bring up a reason I consider legitimate, though I'm open to new ideas. I don't know.

I enjoy exercising my critical thinking, so no it's not pointless. If we intend to
A) Change each others minds
B) Change a law
then no, there is no point. Debating online is futile if your goal is to "win". To explore what you believe and come to understand philosophy and life, then it's not the worst place to do so.

Also I just pointed out a fallacy you committed (no worries, we all do it), and hopefully people can learn from that.

I suppose so, I mean I'm still here after all of this.

No it won't do any of that.
Re-read your sentence.It sounds like an unsubtle propaganda slogan.

How about instead of ridiculing my argument and blowing it out of proportion you bring up actual reasons "it won't do any of that"?

Gay marrirage won't cure common cold or pay my modest wage either.
And yes a valid counter argument often ridicule invalid argument.

It won't do either of those. Does normal, straight marriage cure common cold or pay your modest wage?

Yet I'm still the only one producing intellectual thinking.A good interlocutor would have provided proof at how gay marriage can improve health and economy (and "true freedom of religion"wtf?) by now.

Frankly that makes you look like an ignorant twat. Demeaning your opponents doesn't make your argument any stronger.

Let me restate my points here, since you claim they "lack substance".

Legalizing gay marriage would:

Promote non-discrimination - people would start seeing gay marriage as something normal.
Improve the psychological and physical well being of LGBT people - knowing you can marry the person you love reduces anxiety about the future, reduced stress levels have an effect on a persons health.
Truly promote freedom of religion - racist churches can't be sued for refusing to marry interracial couples, gay marriage won't be any different when it comes to this.
Legitimize LGBT families - again, people will start to see gay marriage as something normal, furthermore married LGBT people will have the same rights under the law.
Increase business opportunities - it's a simple fact that weddings make a profit.

Anyway I feel like this has gone massively off-topic by now. >_>

Promote non-discrimination - people would start seeing gay marriage as something normal.
Because it's legal doesn't necessarly make it socialy accepted.It's also legal to eat shit doesn't mean you should do it.
Improve the psychological and physical well being of LGBT people - knowing you can marry the person you love reduces anxiety about the future, reduced stress levels have an effect on a persons health.
Dat science.Medical PhD for sure.
Truly promote freedom of religion - racist churches can't be sued for refusing to marry interracial couples, gay marriage won't be any different when it comes to this.
Ok don't know what's your point there.Is being gay a religion?
Legitimize LGBT families - again, people will start to see gay marriage as something normal, furthermore married LGBT people will have the same rights under the law.
Yeah straight couple are there to provide orphan to adopt for LGBT families.They keep playing games with their body while others keep perpetuating human race.It should be normal.Heard there's some "Babies on demand" farm in India already.Now that's a business opportunity.
Increase business opportunities - it's a simple fact that weddings make a profit.
Doesn't matter on the economy of a country.If gays can't buy a wedding dress they'll spend their money on something else eventually.Like anal lube.

Level 4
on-topic: i went to a friend's place, and brought my xbox controller with me. when i left, i forgot the controller. the next day i asked if my friend cud return it to me. and the next. and the next. and for the next 6 months, i asked the lazy bastard. one day, he finally decided to return it to me. upon happily reuniting with my xbox controller, i kissed my friend on the cheek. he then told me to fuck off. closest gay experience i've ever had... (and it involved xbox)

phahahahah thats weird :D

Last edited:
@Callahan, don't believe that you have intellect when your only factors for legalizing gay marriage is economical benefits. How do you even know how it feels like to want to be married to same gender and you actually have an opinion? It's truly fascinating how rigid your theories are.

And science? You actually have the nerve to defy that psychological aspect is to be taken seriously? Psychological core, what GhostThruster mentioned, is mental states, not physical, so "doctor PhD" is trolling and ignorance at the same time.

The funniest thing, however, is that you believe you have productive thinking. In your case it's called practical. Productive is being able to acknowledge different aspects at the same time and proceed with decision making of what to infer (it's also close to being creative). Your 1,2,3 factors are not productive, they in fact make you have a thinking span of a non-human (metaphor, in case this is beyond your understanding). Your lack of empathy is traumatized by the norms of what a male should be.

@Ghostwolf, he actually did.

Level 7
Since this thread is as off topic as it gets.I will try to stay on topic.No I haven't kissed a guy.Yes I have been hit on by a hiver named Heinvers.Proof:
Heinvers said:
I luv' you Paliouras

Level 9
Oh fuck me I've actually got a headache now.

Facedesk_by_specklesthefox-d5pvvx8.gif

fladdermasken

Off-Topic Moderator
Level 39
How so? If I found out one of my friends was gay it wouldn't change our friendship at all.
Of course it would. I'm not saying you would cut all ties or even that you would become any less friends with him/her, but it would upset the status quo like any major event would, e.g. a sex change. Or if somehow he/she surgically affixed a dick to the forehead.

The thing is you're all so on edge from this topic that every tiny remark comes across as passive-aggressive to you, like you're walking on eggshells around it to prove to every one that you are so righteous you've somehow transcended standard human psyche. Which in turn makes me think it would change the nature of the friendship even more.

Level 14
Of course it would. I'm not saying you would cut all ties or even that you would become any less friends with him/her, but it would upset the status quo like any major event would, e.g. a sex change. Or if somehow he/she surgically affixed a dick to the forehead.

Could you elaborate how it would change your relationship? What would you do differently around them?

The thing is you're all so on edge from this topic that every tiny remark comes across as passive-aggressive to you, like you're walking on eggshells around it to prove to every one that you are so righteous you've somehow transcended standard human psyche. Which in turn makes me think it would change the nature of the friendship even more.

Nah.

Level 12
Biological need? Maslow's pyramid? Not sure what kind of an answer you would expect.

I'm assuming there's nothing that force people to do it, people do it because they want rather than need.

For humans to continue existing sex might be needed.

For an individual to live through their lifespan sex isn't necessary, this is what I think Gilles has been getting at asking people to deny this. So the answer to the question would be; there is none. Or; for humans not to cease existing as a species.

There might be some other reason you'd classify as a need to have sex but at least I won't come up with it.

Rui

Rui

Level 41
I'm assuming there's nothing that force people to do it, people do it because they want rather than need.

For humans to continue existing sex might be needed.

For an individual to live through their lifespan sex isn't necessary, this is what I think Gilles has been getting at asking people to deny this. So the answer to the question would be; there is none. Or; for humans not to cease existing as a species.

There might be some other reason you'd classify as a need to have sex but at least I won't come up with it.
I'm not sure what Gilles is trying to bring to the table, but my guess is: one thing is mating being essential to humankind's survival, another thing is a society's mentality completely dominated by the notion that we're all out for reproduction and every small insignificant issue ultimately revolves around physical attraction. It's a ridiculous social trend, but rooted on what? Nowadays everyone is a disciple of Freud? Allow me to disagree on that.

P.S. — Yeah this may call for a separate thread.

Level 34
I totally agree with Rui, but it wasn't my intent to bring that up. I was simply asking a question.

Pharaoh_, I was looking for what value Doomlord puts on sex. He says it's valuable but would never answer why it's valuable. You say it's a need. Are homosexual acts a need?

I wasn't trying to make a point, just understand what other peoples points are, and help them understand the things they believe.

I totally agree with Rui, but it wasn't my intent to bring that up. I was simply asking a question.

Pharaoh_, I was looking for what value Doomlord puts on sex. He says it's valuable but would never answer why it's valuable. You say it's a need. Are homosexual acts a need?

I wasn't trying to make a point, just understand what other peoples points are, and help them understand the things they believe.

You're still asking the obvious. The only thing that changes in this case is the gender, as an object of arousal. No one suggested there is a "need" towards homosexuality, there is only a need to be with a person of the same gender and this exact tendency has been conventionally labeled as 'homosexuality'.

It's like a vegetarian and an omnivore; both have the need to eat food and both do, but what they eat is different and/or exclusive (actually with this comparison, an omnivore would be a bisexual, so let's say vegetarian vs. non-vegetarian).

----

@Anyway, consider this post my last. I'm done with the randomness, it truly derailed. But before I go, always remember how it would feel like to be in their shoes - it's easy to conclude if you belong to the 'regular, normal' side, but being passionately opinionated about something you never or will never experience makes you look silly. People will want to be together under law, just like straight couples. You have no right to promote your distaste as a reason to ban such activities; and if you want to have that right, start respecting the rights of others.

Level 34
You're still asking the obvious. The only thing that changes in this case is the gender, as an object of arousal. No one suggested there is a "need" towards homosexuality,
Ok...
there is only a need to be with a person of the same gender and this exact tendency has been conventionally labeled as 'homosexuality'.
You just said that no one suggested there is a "need" for homosexuality. So.. which is it?

always remember how it would feel like to be in their shoes - it's easy to conclude if you belong to the 'regular, normal' side, but being passionately opinionated about something you never or will never experience makes you look silly.
That's a bunch of bullocks. Do you know what it's like to be a person of the opposite gender? If not, does that mean you can't judge their actions?

People will want to be together under law, just like straight couples. You have no right to promote your distaste as a reason to ban such activities;
I have every right to discuss what is moral and what is not.

and if you want to have that right, start respecting the rights of others.
I'm not sure how to explain this well. You're basically saying I have no right to discuss what rights humans should have. This tells me you have no interest in talking about it, but you know I'm wrong and that's the end of it.

Last edited:
Level 12
I'm not sure how to explain this well. You're basically saying I have no right to discuss what rights humans should have. This tells me you have no interest in talking about it, but you know I'm wrong and that's the end of it.

That's quite natural, I think I've already stated earlier in this thread that you won't really change people's opinions unless they want you to and that there isn't a point in discussing anything based so heavily on peoples own perspectives.

With such a "big" subject or w/e you're bound to run into people with experiences not even remote to your own and there's gonna be no way in hell you can 'convince' them either way so if that's what you're out for then you might just lay off since it's going to be a waste of time for both parties.

Although funny enough I don't even think you've stated anything in regards to the subject, only raised questions as to why, and already people were going for your throat to shut you down from the very moment there were someone who possibly didn't agree with them. Which again highlights how worthless discussions such as these are if you're looking for a unanimous conclusion, besides not agreeing with each other.

Level 14
This video is a show of how stubborn religious people react to something alternative eg. gay marriage.
That last guy in the blue shirt is so fucking cool.

I would be annoyed if a gay couple did that in a restaurant next to me. I would also be annoyed if a heterosexual couple did that next to me. I don't like seeing public displays of affection from anyone. But I wouldn't make myself look like a dumbass, I would just sit quietly and deal with it.

Though obviously some of those people were bigots and annoyed for the wrong reasons.

Status
Not open for further replies.