• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Normal Units to Hero

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 29
Hello world!, is there any way to make a normal unit to a hero, and yes I know about the capitalizing the raw prefix letter of the raw code but i want the normal unit to have no attributes, has glow in minimap, and has icon to be clicked sing F1, f2 etc...

My thoughts would be making a dummy hero to follow the normal unit after clicking F1, trigger it to deselect the hero and select the normal unit...

But is there any other way?, your thoughts pls?...

Level 2
Maybe replace the Hero with the Normal Unit? Copy all the Normal Unit's information using the Object editor then put it on the hero...

I am not sure about what i said, but it is the only thing i have in mind.

Level 39
I think your solution would be chaos morphing. AFAIK you get weird shit when hero -> nonhero and vice-versa. Try making a copy of your normal unit with the hero flag checked and all that, and 2 chaos abilities. First chaos morphs 'Hero' to 'hnrm' and second morphs 'hnrm' to 'Hero'. Try both and see if you get something that behaves the way you want with regard to UI and whatnot.

If you're not familiar with chaos, you need to add it to the units via triggers once they're already on the map. I don't think just putting it in the OE spell list will work.

Level 13
I think I read something about this a while ago with the "Storm, Earth and Fire" ability and 0 duration.
You could like, force the "hero/unit" when trained to automatically cast this, turning it into a unit version of itself. This in turn would also make it revivable, at which point when it revives, force it to cast that ability again to morph into a unit.

Level 29
Maybe replace the Hero with the Normal Unit? Copy all the Normal Unit's information using the Object editor then put it on the hero...

I am not sure about what i said, but it is the only thing i have in mind.
it will still show the hero attributes like agility, strength and intelligence which i dont like...

Hm, I have a similar problem.
Dummy and deselect would be fine, but what if you wanted to cast a spell targeting the portrait? Stopping and issuing an order with triggers seems clunky.
Targeting the icon is the main problem with that, my Fog Horror v2.5 map use that system but no targeting the icon...

I think your solution would be chaos morphing. AFAIK you get weird shit when hero -> nonhero and vice-versa. Try making a copy of your normal unit with the hero flag checked and all that, and 2 chaos abilities. First chaos morphs 'Hero' to 'hnrm' and second morphs 'hnrm' to 'Hero'. Try both and see if you get something that behaves the way you want with regard to UI and whatnot.

If you're not familiar with chaos, you need to add it to the units via triggers once they're already on the map. I don't think just putting it in the OE spell list will work.
Chaos ability normal unit given to hero will cause an unknown error, the map will not crash but when i quit the game it will log an error suggesting that you email blizzard for that, i dunnu if patch 1.30 fix that already...

I think I read something about this a while ago with the "Storm, Earth and Fire" ability and 0 duration.
You could like, force the "hero/unit" when trained to automatically cast this, turning it into a unit version of itself. This in turn would also make it revivable, at which point when it revives, force it to cast that ability again to morph into a unit.
Problem is i dont want to cast nor show that ability in the unit's ability page, also it has a timer which is bad...

THANK you guys, I am still open for any suggestion on how to do this, meanwhile +rep to all and i will use the dummy hero to follow the normal unit...

Level 13
Problem is i dont want to cast nor show that ability in the unit's ability page, also it has a timer which is bad...
Not much of a problem if you put said skill in a hidden spellbook. I'll do some testing since I am not to sure what would happen.
But, I think I can get a test map with the results you want.

Level 29
An infinite (0) duration ability wouldn't show a timer though. At least summons and druid forms don't, haven't tried with SE&F
It will not be good either if the unit is a summoned one...

Can you Storm Crow morph a regular unit into a hero unit? That might hide some of the hero UI too.
Never tried but if it'll work (which i doubt), it will still show ability and you need to cast it, if the hero dies it will revert to the normal unit, and so on...

Not much of a problem if you put said skill in a hidden spellbook. I'll do some testing since I am not to sure what would happen.
But, I think I can get a test map with the results you want.
Please i would like to see that, I'm too lazy to make it happen :D...

Last edited:
Level 29
This is the best I can come up with.
There is one downside: the blue bar. Check it out:
Main problem is it has a timer and will not be registered as a hero but i think it is better than the dummy hero i created...but thanks Ima use it though...

It's a bit complicated though not impossible to implement, trying it out thanks...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.