• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Noob Question Portraits

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 23
Hi guys,

I promise before i posted this i searched this forum for threads with keyword as "portrait" but none of them helped me with my problem. This is my first time importing models and portraits, and today when i was trying to import a ping pong model
Peon-Pong Tank
I followed the instructions, it didnt even require me to change the paths. When i attached the model to an orc catapult, and saved in editor then tried to test it, the model works fine, but in the place of the portrait there is either complete darkness or a flickering white light. I was just wondering, is there something i am missing that caused this problem?

Link for tutorial for the portrait
How to import 'Peon-Pong Tank' | HIVE

Many Thanks!

You are not being a noob, it is the the old system of the resource section being buggy.
Before Hive2.0 we where not really able to add complimentary files to a model.

The 'portrait' of the that pong tank is actually its custom missile. You don't have to import the portrait model, but if you wish to use the pig pong ball missile just rename 'Peon-Pong Tank-b_Portrait.mdx' to something like 'Peon-Pong Tank-b_Missile.mdx' for instance.

Level 23
You are not being a noob, it is the the old system of the resource section being buggy.
Before Hive2.0 we where not really able to add complimentary files to a model.

The 'portrait' of the that pong tank is actually its custom missile. You don't have to import the portrait model, but if you wish to use the pig pong ball missile just rename 'Peon-Pong Tank-b_Portrait.mdx' to something like 'Peon-Pong Tank-b_Missile.mdx' for instance.
Hello!
Thanks for the reply.
If i may, can i ask a quick question just to help my understanding of this issue?
Is there anyway i can tell by seeing a resource on the hive that a portrat file is not actually a portrait file, as in this case? I looked over the instructions and saw no indication that it was not the portrait, and am very curious how you knew it was for the missle. From all the turorials i read, they say having problems with model can crash the game and one indication is when the portrait is missing, which is why i was so freaked out when it wasnt showing.

As I said before the current version of the resource sections, the resource section did not accept anything as a portrait that was not called 'Modelname_Portrait.mdx'. Some people used this to either submit an alternate version of the model or add another goodie other than an actual portrait model.

You can view each individual model in 3D and see check what model it actually is.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.