• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Newsletter/Private Message

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 18
April 21, 2007

I have created a Private Message Newsletter feature which I sent out to 80 active members of the Hive. The feedback I've gotten from the users has been very encouraging and I am pleased to see that it has helped capture the interest of many who had not yet checked out the project. I have copied the PM and put it here for those who did not receive it to view. After reading it, if you decide you would like to receive messages like this in the future just say so in a response.

Hello, the reason I have created this thread is to try and spread the word about my new map (and Hive hosted project) Against the Darkness.

It has experienced heavy traffic on WorldofWar.net, yet has not really caught on in our community of The Hive. So far, since its release on March 30th at WorldofWar, it has collected 1,496 downloads, but since its release on The Hive Workshop, has only experienced 482 downloads. I have not received much feedback from our community either, which brings me back to why I have created this thread.

I would like to interest those who haven't played Against the Darkness yet in giving it a try. I'm sure most have you have perused my forums or seen the announcements, but it appears that hardly anyone has really given the map a chance by downloading it and playing it on battle.net. Hopefully, by the following information and screen shots, your interest will be more greatly captured and you will be more willing to try one of The Hive's newest projects out.

Against the Darkness

• The object of the game for the Death Hunters is to defeat the extremely powerful Death Knight. As easy as this sounds, it cannot be done without sufficient leveling from the creeps around the map, buying important items like armor from various shops, and maybe even a mercenary or two from the Mercenary Chapel. You will not be able to destroy the Death Knight on your own until you level around 6-9, and have some Enchanted Armor on you, so it would not be wise to attempt this on your own.

• The Death Knight's objective is to kill all of the Death Hunters, thus being able to open the Nether Portal without any resistance. In the game, the Death Knight would be wise to creep and gain levels first before attempting to kill off any Death Hunters... unless that is, they can be easily caught, for a Death Hunter killed brings a high bounty of experience and gold! A bad Death Knight would spend all their time chasing after a Death Hunter, allowing all the other Death Hunters to level and collect gold, while they gain nothing. If a Death Knight does this, they will be defeated easily.

29ykvoy.jpg

The Death Hunter Heroes of AtD pictured above.

Features

• Hero Selection from over 6 unique Death Hunter heroes.
  • Unique gameplay experience unlike any other map on battle.net. 8 vs 1 'Hunter v Hunted' styled play, with both sides virtually perfectly balanced.
  • Over 35 custom items
  • Over 10 custom-triggered Spells
  • Over 5 quests to be discovered. (1 unique to each team, 3 universal)
  • Over 30 non-blizzard imported icons.
  • Small experience given from hunting animals such as deer, rabits, etc. as well as creeping.
  • Unique and detailed terrain.
  • RPG influences such as regions of the map that are level specific.
  • Alternate victory cinematics
  • Much, much more!!!

Custom Spell Gallery

Natural Augmentation

Frozen Blast

Archichaos

Sun Totem

Gameplay Gallery

Doom
So what if the Death Hunters just keep running away from the Death Knight?

• If you have ever played E V O L U T I O N (aka Darwin's Island), Doom may look familiar to you in a way. At the end of the 23 minutes normal game time, if the Death Knight is still alive, and he has not killed all the Hunters thus far, Doom will initiate. This will give the Death Knight several armies of Necrofiends and Nether Walkers spread throughout the map, aiding him further in finally defeating the Hunters once and for all. Though this will give the Death Knight an heavy advantage, it does not guarantee victory.

• Doom, though tough, can be fought through by the Death Hunters if they have leveled sufficiently and collected/bought the correct items to aid them in battle. One strategy for Doom is to continuously run around the map, escaping the fiends, walkers, and the Death Knight... but this is very hard to do unless you are skilled enough to find short-opened paths. A second strategy is to one by one take out each army of fiends and walkers before the Death Knight has time to set them in motion, for the less armies he has, the better chance you have of outlasting the 7 minute Doom timer. A good strategy for the Death Knight to defeat the Death Hunters is to quickly corner them with mass units, giving them no chance of escape.

• If any one Death Hunter outlasts the additional 7 minutes of Doom, the entire force of Death Hunters win the game. At any time in the game the Death Knight is defeated, the Death Hunters win the game. At any time in the game there are no Death Hunters left alive, the Death Knight wins the game.

Lastly, Against the Darkness is updated frequently for bug fixes, changes, and additions. I keep a change log that can be found in the forums here to keep users up with the latest fixes so they know which is the latest version to download. AtD is also open to suggestions for new Hero ideas, spells, items, units, and anything else. Any of these ideas can be posted in the Suggestions & Ideas sub-forum and will be closely paid attention to and considered by me.

Thanks for reading this message and I hope that I have increased your interest in Against the Darkness!

Please let me know of any comments or suggestions that you might have. Feel free to contact me via PM or post your thoughts in the AtD forums.
-1)ark_NiTe

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.