• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Newly created data not showing up in selection windows

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 4
Apologies if this topic has already been covered, a quick search didn't reveal anything so I made my own thread.

I created three new units: a dog, a kennel to produce the dog, and a builder to produce the kennel.

I created the dog, gave it a weapon, customized it and ended up with a finished product that was exactly what I had in mind.

I made the kennel, made the trigger to produce the dog, and everything was fine.

I went to make the builder, and now things are starting to get purely bizzare. I created a custom "Build" ability for him, made the Button for the Kennel, and whatnot. The Build ability has a name, and an editor prefix, and when I go onto the "Abilities" list it is there, staring at me in the face. However when I go to add the ability to the unit, it is simply not there on the dropdown menu.

This has also happened with an Effect, where I could not add the damage effect to a weapon I had created.

Has anyone seen this problem, and does anyone know of any solutions? It could be a simple field in the data editor, but the magnitude of the editor is quite substantial, so it's hard to find exactly what you want if you don't know what you're looking for.

Thanks for any assistance you can provide.

Level 4
Its possible if you used the DUPLICATE function, this is what is causing your issue. This glitch causes a lot of people grief. When you duplicate something it doesnt show up correctly in dropdowns when trying to add it to something else.

The best way to fix this. (IF thats the issue you are having) is to use ADD OBJECT instead when creating any data. Rather than duplicating. While duplicating seems like a good shortcut, it can add needless work to your map trying to find broken links and such.

When you use ADD OBJECT, just select COPY FROM in Field Values, to what you want to copy and then alter to suit your needs.

This NEW object should then show up correctly in dropdowns.

Alternatevly. Some errors with the editor with displaying info incorrectly can be solved by saving your map and restarting the editor.

Status
Not open for further replies.