• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Showing a Casting-bar

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 9
I like to do abilities mostly through triggers, but I have an idea that I believe will work a lot better by using the data-editor. << I AM very unskilled with the data-editor, so be gentle >>

What I need to do, is to create a casting bar whenever I have a unit is casting an ability, just like the Battlecruiser's yamato-cannon, just without any damage or effects, maybe, when it finishes, send an input to the triggers. This casting-time-actor or whatever it is should be called through triggers.

Would be awesome if anyone could point me towards a tutorial, or explain me anything about this topic.

Cheers _jakeCake??

Level 11
Uhh, are you using ingame UI or custom UI? You could have the unit use a dummy ability that has a moderate prepare time (enable "Show Progress" for the Prepare stage and add in a progress button for that), which would create a casting bar. Make sure that your unit has the Queue (1) ability though.

You can then use the event Ability Reaches Stage (or something like that). Set it to Prepare to fire it when a unit starts using the ability, and Cast for when a unit actually uses the ability.

Level 9
Uhh, are you using ingame UI or custom UI? You could have the unit use a dummy ability that has a moderate prepare time (enable "Show Progress" for the Prepare stage and add in a progress button for that), which would create a casting bar. Make sure that your unit has the Queue (1) ability though.

You can then use the event Ability Reaches Stage (or something like that). Set it to Prepare to fire it when a unit starts using the ability, and Cast for when a unit actually uses the ability.

Sounds like a working solution, thank you! didn't expect an answer that fast, I will go try it out, but I doubt I'll get it to work the first time, so I might hit you back soon mrzwach :)

btw. I'm using custom UI

Status
Not open for further replies.