• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

(newbie questions)How to use BLPs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 3
Hello guys,im having problem on importing models,i have imported some models before,all of the are included Mdx and blps,but there are some models only have blp file inside its folder,how do i use them?

Level 3
Yes i do know these i have successfully install some models before,but there is some model comes only with blp and the path is different,usually i just import the mdx and change it at the object editor,but when its only blp files,what should i do? it is not potrait,but there is only 1 blp files

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 63
Yes i do know these i have successfully install some models before,but there is some model comes only with blp and the path is different,usually i just import the mdx and change it at the object editor,but when its only blp files,what should i do? it is not potrait,but there is only 1 blp files
It cannot be a model if it is a BLP file alone. Are you sure it is not a skin (model reskin)?

If it is a model reskin then you must import it over the skin used by the model. If you want both the original model and the model reskin used in game then you need to export the original model and alter the material/texture path so that it references a different file and then import the BLP file to that different file path and import the edited model.

In StarCraft II you can use Model data to specify material overwrites so that alternative textures are used instead of the standard textures. These can be any path and actors can dynamically change them in game. WC3 lacks any of this functionality, with the closest one can get is with some hacky models using the war club ability and some custom trees.

Level 3
So ill have to use third party software if i wanted to reskin the model? actually im trying to us the skins made by 67chrome,i just cant figure out how

Level 21
So ill have to use third party software if i wanted to reskin the model?
No, you can see the correct path on the page where you downloaded the skin:
ImportingSkins.png

im trying to us the skins made by 67chrome,i just cant figure out how
Just do what WereElf said.
check "allow custom path" (or something similar)
It's "Use custom path"

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 63
Thx guys it worked,but it change all the skin of a unit in game?
Yes, as stated in my reply...
If it is a model reskin then you must import it over the skin used by the model.

Which mean only 1 skins is allowed per unit type?
Per model actually. As stated in my reply...
If you want both the original model and the model reskin used in game then you need to export the original model and alter the material/texture path so that it references a different file and then import the BLP file to that different file path and import the edited model.

The features needed to allow one to substitute model textures for any texture was only added in StarCraft II. Even then it only works on most textures (not all).

Status
Not open for further replies.