• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

New skill!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 10
i was thinking why not having 1 basic char skill for everyone? why? simple some class need 1 more suport skill and 1 more offensive skills with the stone throw they can have both, its not an super op skill... it will deal moderate damage and have some effects that would help each class (for some it is a suport skill, for others its an offensive skill)
so a bard, druid, crusader, monk, hexblade, necromancer can have 1 good offensive skill
and assassin, hunter, berzerker, bishop, psion, sorceress can have a good suport skill

positive points : one new skill for every class! you can learn it to help you with the class change and bosses, some class now can have more options if they want to go defensive or offensive. its not cheap! not everybody will want to have it after class change. will be a very usefull skill and its only 1 skill for 12 classes so its easier to make, to trigger and to balance!

negative points : balance it, people may not find it, codewipe?.

an offensive spell that you can buy in mytargas after completing the quest of the sewer monster (you can learn it for 1000 gold with the maiden in the sewer)... and all classes can learn it at level 20 and every class have it onw improvement after it change class!

example :

attachment.php

The hero take a little stone from the ground and throw it to the enemy, dealling damage equal to [attack power + spell power] physical damage.
[Cast time : instant cast]
[Cooldown : 9 seconds]
[Mana : 7 ]
[Hotkey : G ]
[Obtain : Mytargas sewer]

Assassin : make the stone throw move, to be a mud throw blinding the enemy for 3 seconds.

Bard : make the stone to deal and extra damage if bard have song of elements [ (Spellpower * 1.5) over 3 seconds]

Sorceress : inscreases a little the stone size that is throwed, making the stone now to knockback the enemy.

Necromancer : the stone now is from a cemetery grave, it curses the target inscreases shadow damage by 5% for 5 sec.

Crusader : the stone throw is throwed with so huge strenght, that it have an small area effect (deal half damage to 2 targets around the main target).

Berzerker : the stone throw will now be sand dealling an area damage equal to half stone throw damage and blinding them for 2 seconds

Hunter : throw the stone with such precision that it wounds the target, attack speed, movement speed and spell haste reduced by 20%

Druid : the stone throwed now mark the target with the sign of earth for 5 seconds and have a 20% chance to trigger with an druid attack etangle roots (dealling [spellpower *1.2 over 3 seconds]) and removing the sign of earth from the target

Bishop : you bless the stone before throw, that will reduce the healling of the enemy by 50%.

Monk : the monk have an 30% chance to to throw a second stone during the move dealing 70% of the damage of the main stone

Hexblade : the throw stone can ricochet into enemy, everytime it ricochet it loses half of the damage (like chain lightning) can hit enemy more than once. 3 times ricochet.

Psion : the stone throw now throw a runed stone, that reduces the spell resistances of the target by 15% for 3 seconds.

Attachments

• stone icon.png
    stone icon.png
    9.9 KB · Views: 364
Level 4
Right right, i get where you're going at. The idea about an ability that can be learned by all classes, but have different effects depending on the specific class is very interesting - but i'm not fund of this method of executing the concept.

My thoughts about this concept could be an ability categorized as a Trait ability. Every class will start off with their trait ability. This ability cannot be unlearned but replaced with various different trait abilities found in the world.

So for example:

Squire:
Trait Ability: Mortal Strike (Deals 1.5x attack power and increases physical damage taken by 25% for 10 seconds)

Now imagine some time has passed and you are now a level 8 Squire that has just killed Giant Crab and Trait Ability: Cleaving Swing (Deals 2 x attack power physical damage in an AOE infront of the Squire) dropped! Now you have the option to stay with Mortal Strike or learn Cleaving Swing. If you choose to learn Cleaving Swing it will replace Mortal Strike in the process.

EDIT: I just realised my proposaled concept is nothing like what you wrote. I'm still leaving it here though.....

Zwiebelchen

Hosted Project GR
Level 35
There is a fallacy in your reasoning:

Making 1 spell is less work than making 10 spells. So far, this is correct. However, making 1 spell that works different on 10 characters is effectively the same as making 10 spells. So you gain nothing with that, except that it's incredibly boring. ;)

I want to be honest with you guys: making spells has never been the bottleneck of content making. In fact, everything content-wise is not a bottleneck anymore. Spells, creeps, bosses... all this doesn't take long to make for me now that almost everything has some systems going on.
It's implementing all the auxiliary stuff that takes a long time: enter and leave triggers for houses, custom respawn mechanics for bosses like the gargoyle, quests, etc... basicly everything that is out of the ordinary.

If the new content was only about abilities and battles, I could wrap this up in no time. That's why I really look forward to designing D4, simply because it's straightforward battle-per-battle designs. But 1.2C content must come first. And that is a lot of work simply because the area is huge and the content has a lot of "exceptions" and unique designs.

Status
Not open for further replies.