• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

New race issues

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 1
Hello! I hope this is the right forum to post in. I'm new, so forgive me if I'm in the wrong place.

I'm working on a little campaign, and trying to balance my new "race".

Right now, my problem is that somehow my casters, and some of the ranged units, keep getting themselves killed. They just refuse to stay back and let the tanks do the tanking.

I have set their formation rank, so it's not that. I could fix it by making them tougher, but that's kind of cheating.

I've set their AI target priority to high, because it makes sense that the AI should attack the weak units first if they can, and it sounds reasonable that this is pretty much the source of the problem. But I don't want to change that, because that would just mean making the AI stupid.

(It does strike me, however, that many of the original units have a priority that doesn't make sense to me. I don't see why archers and riflemen have low priority, but footmen high.)

Do you have any ideas how I can make the casters less brave? Or just more likely to survive somehow, without making them far too powerful?

Level 11
try to create a character using a rifleman , archer and then edit its stats and skills i think thats the only way to do it xD

Level 4
I'm rather sure that I saw a Priority setting within the Object Editor. Maybe change that option to a lower or higher number so that the "Tank" units are more important than the others. But I only think that would affect who the other units target first, so that might not solve your problem of them rushing forward.

Hope that helps. (I'm only going of memory :D )

~Armix8

Level 1
As I said, I've deliberately set the priority so that the casters have higher priority than the tanks, because that's the best strategy from the AI's perspective. I could solve the problem by making the AI do the less intelligent thing, attacking the tanks first, but I'd rather find some other solution if possible.

Status
Not open for further replies.