• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!

New PC Build

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 31
It's that time to update the motherboard. With the new 10nm CPUs continuously being pushed back and the latest information that Cannonlake will just be shrinkage without anything else, I lost my patience ^_^. Now it seems that the new true 10nm will be Icelake in 2018.

Given Kaby Lake won't be giving much, I decided that now is the time to upgrade the motherboard, and along with it, the CPU and RAM.

The new GTX 1080 is also out. However, I believe it best to wait for 3rd party GTX 1080 Ti cards before upgrading the GTX 980.

These are the components I decided on

$599 Asus Rampage V Edition 10
$1108 Intel 6900K
$115 NZXT Kraken X61 280mm All-in-One Liquid Cooling System RL-KRX61-01
$18 Arctic Silver 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 12g Thermal Paste
$400 EVGA SuperNOVA T2 1600W 80+ Titanium Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply
$600 Corsair Dominator Platinum 64GB DDR4 3333 C16 Memory Kit

Coming out to a total of $2840

As I am relying solely on liquid cooling, I am sticking with my current NZXT 820 Phantom case that specializes in liquid cooling. The airflow isn't as great as other cases, but it does have wonderful compartments for 280mm radiators : ).

Part of the upgrade to my setup is about adding 3 additional monitors to it on a 3-mount stand. Currently I have a Samsung UN65JS9000 and a Samsung Syncmaster SA950. I needed 1080p monitors with good picture quality that were only between 24" and 27" and weren't overly expensive. I was determined to find IPS panels with 5ms latency : p.

The monitors seemed like a tall order, but I found this sucker

http://www.amazon.com/VN248Q-P-1920...&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s01

At only $170 a pop, I was wondering what the heck the catch was for such a wonderful display. Turns out, there was no catch. There are actually two other monitors that I found at equally amazing prices.

http://www.amazon.com/LG-Electronic...ue&ref_=ox_sc_sfl_title_5&smid=A1XBP962TML3AH

I can't seem to find what the other was. What was also great was that the Asus one I found was AH-IPS ^_^.

So there went $507 on three monitors. Now I needed a stand, an MST hub, and a kvm switch.

After a lot of research, I found out that a lot of people swore by the ergotech stand, which was about $200 - . -. Very expensive, but easy to adjust. Totally worth it. I got it.

Next, the mst hub. I found that I had two choices. One was from Startech, a vendor that I don't trust at all, and the other from EVGA, a vendor that screams excellence for me : D. Clearly, I had my pick : P.

Finally, the kvm switch. This one required a lot of digging. I finally found one for an exorbitant price of $200. It was built by Aten, a company that was known for its quality. It was either that or I could go for a $150 switch from Startech. Aten it was, even if the switch was overly pricey - . -.

The final cost of my next upgrade to my setup ended up being $3597.

I am still unsure what the price of the GTX 1080 Ti will be, but I want to run 3-way Sli so that I can easily support all of these games at 4k on ultra, the syncmaster, and the 3 monitors.

Possible changes could be going with the 6850k instead of the 6900k. I am not doing the 6700k because the 2011-3 socket is better than the 1151 socket and this is primarily a motherboard upgrade : P. I am still perfectly happy with my 3930k.

Any feedback/suggestions on the build? : )

Level 9
Quite a heavy build. I do get the impression you've simply gone to ebuyer.com and sorted all the components by most expensive? Though I'm certain this isn't the case.
I think it's a bit over-the-top, and I'm not sure why you would spend $3597 on a new setup and then decide to wait for 3rd party 1080s when they'll only be $100-150 cheaper.
NZXT create top-quality cases, I find the phantom a little bit "boy racer" but their H440 range is nice.

Despite that, I have no idea what you use your computer for - the fact that you're willing to dish out over $1000 on a CPU and include 64GB RAM says it's pobably necessary and you have intensive system requiremets - also, you probably won't need to upgrade for about 10 years.

I'd be interested to see what SSD/HDD setup you have.

Level 31
SSD is Samsung 950 Pro 512GB + Samsung 850 Pro 2TB x2 for 4.5 GB of storage

I ended up going with the Intel 6850k. I couldn't justify the cost of the 6900k >.<.

Everything is now in except for the mobo : ).

The twin GPUs are going to be for the ultra settings on games on 4k + extra monitors. GPUs don't last very long, so it is my experience to always buy the best available to make it last as long as possible.

The CPU was necessary for the mobo. The mobo supports 40 PCIE 3.0 lanes. I'll be using 37.

The cooler is because of the climate I'm in. Minimal air cooling is my next PC.

The power supply is upgrading an 11000W power supply. I go with a large power supply to stay safe through the lifetime of the machine (including upgrades). I currentlyu have an 1100W power supply. I also went with 80+ Titanium to be as energy efficient as possible. Wouldn't want to blow a breaker by going over 15 amps.

I am currently using about 16 gigs of RAM, so 64 is the next natural upgrade. I went from 4 to 16 for prior upgrade. I always multiply RAM by 4 so that it lasts a long time. When I upped to 16, I was using about 4 gigs. The RAM always seems like more than I could ever use, but by the time I upgrade it next, I'm using all of it : ).

The computer should last about 7-9 years and the GPUs 2 years.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.