• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

[General] New Map Style Idea Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 3
So right off I want to say my experience with triggering is very limited. What I have in mind is a style of map I've yet to see but I think could be very intersting if it can be made to work.

The map is very much like my favorite game of all time X-Com.

So.

- Can you have a portal that sends the players to more than one area with out them having to select it. I.E. one of 5 preset destinations.

- Can you trigger it so that the map places a group of doodads.

- Can you trigger it so that the map selects from a list of groups 1-5

- Can you make it so that a shop will not have an item visible until that item is brought to the shop?

Those are pretty much the big ones for now. But there will be more based on the answers.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 63
- Can you have a portal that sends the players to more than one area with out them having to select it. I.E. one of 5 preset destinations.
Yes

- Can you trigger it so that the map places a group of doodads.
Impossible. I do not see how the map is capable of running jass script (the WC3 game engine does). Even if you try and get the game engine to generate some doodads via triggers during a session that is still equally impossible as doodads have no real interactable presence in triggers (next to animations). You can however use destructables which are set simlar to doodads for a simlar effect.

- Can you trigger it so that the map selects from a list of groups 1-5
Again, the map can not run jass script. The WC3 game engine however can run jass script during a session of the map. Yes you can easilly make a list sytems which maps numbers to groups.

- Can you make it so that a shop will not have an item visible until that item is brought to the shop?
Within reason. You can create jass script that is capable of manipulating the items in a vender. The vender however has to function like a marketplace (not a normal item vender).

Level 3
Thanks that helps a great deal. I'll just have to come up with a different way to do this then.

Level 3
What I had in mind was to have a premade terrain area and then when a quest is generated in that area the buildings and walls and units would be generated. Then the players would teleport into the area do the quest then leave.

You could then have the players hand in the quest and a layout would be generated on the same terrain.

This would allow to created heaps of different variation in the map in a much smaller area.

Level 19
What I had in mind was to have a premade terrain area and then when a quest is generated in that area the buildings and walls and units would be generated. Then the players would teleport into the area do the quest then leave.

You could then have the players hand in the quest and a layout would be generated on the same terrain.

This would allow to created heaps of different variation in the map in a much smaller area.

instead of generating the doodads/destructibles why don't you just hide/unhide?

Level 3
instead of generating the doodads/destructibles why don't you just hide/unhide?

Could you make a small map demonstraing what you mean?

I assume you mean have four doodads all place on top of each other but you hide three of the four.

1. How would you move through the hidden ones since I would like to be able to move buildings around the map so its a new town each time?

Level 19
Doodads can not be manipulated with triggers next to changing animations.

yeah my bad lol, but destructibles can...
so here is what he can do:

1.make all doodads into destructibles
2.place all destructibles before hand
3.at Map Initialization pick the destructibles you want and hide them
4.now instead of generating a town, now you can just unhide it

1. How would you move through the hidden ones since I would like to be able to move buildings around the map so its a new town each time?
im not sure what you mean...but do you mean that you want to use the same area for all of the towns?

Status
Not open for further replies.