• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

New Hosted Project: Gaias Retaliation

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 25
If you want to improve your mod to become something many WarCraft III players will enjoy when they play it, you must listen to what your players are complaining about and fixes whatever they're unhappy with. If you want feedback, don't complain or whine when the feedback isn't about praising your mod and just listen to what the players have to say and just get it done or provide a valid and polite reason why you may disagree with the feedback instead of arguing back or insulting people.

If someone says: "This map sucks!" and doesn't provide any reasons why, then it may be a bit more justified to comment back (though it's best to just keep your mouth shut) but if they say: "This map sucks because..." then insulting back or having any kind of negative reaction is just bad. They are plainly and simply telling you why the map is not good IN THEIR OPINION. And if many agree or report the same thing, then obviously YOU are in the wrong and should listen up with your mouth shut.

I understand you put a lot of time and effort into your project. However, I do not think it is necessary to get angry at the fact that some people are unhappy with some things in your map. Fix the problem or say why you aren't going to fix it. Don't get nasty. It never solves anything.

I haven't tried this map out yet (can't find three people who want to play with me) but I assure you, I will provide feedback about it when I do to help you make this RPG even better.

Level 1
In all seriousness, this whole 'accept negative feedback' thing is getting kind of old. While I do agree, that in order for a map to be largely successful, it must cater to its fans, within reason; I do not agree that the issue should be pressed when the map itself is still in Alpha stages. Alpha basically implies that most, if not all, the content is still subject to change, and that while the developers may still be open to ideas, they would prefer to set a foundation layer down first in order to better facilitate those ideas when the map enters Beta stages.

So, put simply, the map is still in early stages and must first be modified to the point where the devs are ready to start implementing the suggestions of their fans.

On a sidenote: Alpha stage maps usually aren't released publicly, however in this map's case the terrain alone at the moment is good enough for a sneak-peek, so to speak.

Level 5
I'm having problems with the map, something about a fatal error.. it happens every time I try to attack something...
I saw someone else on the thread having the same issue as well.

Edit:
Wooops lol major noob moment, I never downloaded the most recent patch lol
heh.... heh... -_-

Last edited:
Level 4
hi i would like to know when will be out the next ver of map and if u guys could change code when u save it is to long or make a system to check it.. .
anyway its a great map "epic" one i could say

Level 17
if u guys could change code when u save it is to long or make a system to check it.. .

You can not possiblity make the code shorter just like that.
To do so they would probably have to redo parts of the code and compress it as much as possible.
There is many ways of compressing save codes by alot, but many people avoid using many of them, if not all, to make the progress easier ;)
And the code is not to long.. I remember playing a final fantasy RPG where you could play with like 20 different heroes... All in one single save code.
It was two full rows of text for the save code.

You can not possiblity make the code shorter just like that.
To do so they would probably have to redo parts of the code and compress it as much as possible.
There is many ways of compressing save codes by alot, but many people avoid using many of them, if not all, to make the progress easier ;)
And the code is not to long.. I remember playing a final fantasy RPG where you could play with like 20 different heroes... All in one single save code.
It was two full rows of text for the save code.

I think that was Ilyad's FF Epic RPG, I used to play that map a lot...

Level 17
I think that was Ilyad's FF Epic RPG, I used to play that map a lot...

Well yeah, i used to play that map aswell. I remember when i finally reached the last hero in the tree i choosed. Just a short while after that i quited becouse there was nothing else to do..
And if you could handle that code, you should not complain about the code in this one :p

Zwiebelchen

Hosted Project GR
Level 35
I use PipeDreams Save/Load System, which is awesome in terms of compression, as it uses the giant-integer approach. I doubt you can do much better than this in general.
I also heavily compress the stored data, by using pattern-algorythms for items, that only store item types that are *possible* in this item slot.

So for example, a squire only saves items that a Squire can actually wear for the inventory instead of just saving all item types. Same goes for skills.

Also, to prevent further code wipes, I heavily increased the number of stored item types and quests. I currently save about 3 times more quest states than there are in the game, actually. Same goes for items.

I would say the save codes in Gaias Retaliation are 99% optimized. I doubt anyone could ever do better than this.

Status
Not open for further replies.