• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!

New Contest Awards

Status
Not open for further replies.

Archian

Site Director
Level 61
So, we are thinking of spicing up the awards for contests hosted here at Hive.

Contest awards could include a special watermark / avatar background, like the Orc logo for instance. However, this would not be a one-time-only thing. Like season awards in other games, these type of awards could reappear giving more people the chance to unlock it if they missed it the first time around.

Let us hear your thoughts!

Some examples:

1542554171_OrcCrest.png
1542554190_UndeadCrest.png
1542554141_Humancrest.png

Last edited:
Level 32
It's a neat concept but i feel like that's too much user interface.
I would think it can be like a banner for something like Melee Tournament would make sense for it.

Maybe if you win or got at least 3rd place in a contest, your resource should be in a temporary spotlight right at front page as a way to promote your winning entries. (like 1 month or something).

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 45
I was going to first ask "why" (eh what the heck, I still will: "Why?"), but I guess if there's some new 'tech' options afforded to us by the new forums (stuff like the new avatar background watermarks you mention), I don't see why not. Might be cool.

I will too say that the "Hive standby" of putting the winning entry on the Icon has been a little annoying when I've actually made it into the top 3 (seeing the One That Beat Me forever after xD), so I'd love to look into alternatives, if that were on the table.

Anyway, re: watermarks, what were we thinking? We talking "stuff with X transparency behind the avatar", like for patrons & admins? Can we do text and/or images equally? How much text can we reasonably fit?
And re: the "seasons" thing, are you thinking instead of having, say, "1st Place - Hero Contest #9", we'd just have "1st Place - Hero Contest" and have that award until the next Hero Contest, like a Heismann (??) Trophy that gets passed around?

Level 32
The things about adding touch on winning make me lose humbleness. If I make my skin and won the whole contest, I don't give a damn about this being winning entry, I just care that I pour heart into the work and i'm proud of it than having a little stamp said: "This one won 2nd place in this contest X". You get the idea.

Status
Not open for further replies.