• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

New boss with random skills

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 2
Good afternoon!
I think of course if it's possible it'd be interesting to add a new boss with random skills. He'll have, for example, list 15-20 skills totally, and after every respawn he'll use a combination of 3-4 skills. To my mind it would be a good test for teamplay because the team will have to find tactic for slaying this boss spontaneously every time.

What do you think?
I guess it take a lot of time, work, but i want to know your opinion about the idea. Is it interesting for you to kill such boss?

P.S. sorry for my English :)

Last edited:
Level 1
That would be awesome. You could also have it so there is a random boss each time, all different skills/abilities/looks. I think it would be easier to make as well.

Level 10
In theory it sounds great but the chance of probability and luck I think is too big. You might 'random' a string of spells that might be 100% undoable with any party combination that you may currently have the efforts would be devastatingly hard to balance

The only way around this I think would be maybe like 3-5 similar random spells per each 4 spell choices that way the 'theme' of the boss would remain in tact for balance reasons

Last edited:
Level 5
maybe make an arena boss fight ...
So like a team of 5 enter the pvp arena (pve mode) and we fight 3 bosses 1 after another, the item drops are only rewarded after the 3 are killed (reawrd for surving the rounds).... the 3 bosses shouldn't be the same all the time but randomized, which adds more challenge and flavour?! ^^

Level 10
The arena bosses has been suggested in the past multiple times. I myself have been trying to push it for years haha. My idea was you enter the arena and you pay money to fight bosses that way there is a money sink in the game and if you beat the bosses you could get pvp tokens or quest tokens or something in which yoy could use to get like pvp gear with or something so pvp would be more balanced and bigger I gaias

Zwiebelchen

Hosted Project GR
Level 35
I don't like Arena bosses because the time vs reward calculation is way off.
All bosses should require at least a certain amount of time sink. That's why you have to fight trashmobs in dungeons to reach bosses or wait for world bosses to respawn.

Also, the amount of work you have to put into designing bosses and loot is far greater than to actually create non-boss content, so it's absolutely not a problem to create content around those bosses that makes the game more immersive.

About the random boss:
It would be a pain in the ass to balance and not worth the effort (creating 20 skills for just one boss? I could make 5-6 bosses with those 20 skills instead!)

Level 5
I did say you get the reward after all the bosses are defeated. that's time consuming and a lot more challenging, failing on the last boss/phase will = a reset... (rage)

An example - Death Knight, after death turns into ghoul, after death turns into ghost... :D?

Level 13
I did like the idea of there being Arena bosses later that involve some kind of timesink. Either ridiculously long battles, MC/Gold entry fees (i.e. the sink being the farm) or waves before a boss. That way Zwieb, you get your sinks and people get the arena fights they want and love.

Seriously.

Level 10
yes and zwie you could use some part of the mytargas city that isnot being used ^^
and the idea of a random should be cool if the boss have a variation of elements, water, earth, wind, thunder, fire like the boss of ryth of passage (mage quest)... so when he is fire he use: fireball, firestrike, fire shield, efreet... when he is water he uses: water balls, frost cage, water elemental, when he is dark : shadowbolt, curse, summon skels
something like that would be cool and the players will identify him for the collour... and if you kill and the 5 (or more) elementals you got a quest token or something like that ^^

Level 13
I don't really know why people want arena bosses. Isn't that totally lame and boring? Oo

Naw. The Arena can be used to summon bosses once space for new content runs out. Plus they're cheap thrills and if they involve some kind of unique challenge, they can act as ingame trophies of sorts. Completed events that not all players can succeed in.

I've always loved Arena based areas where you can fight massive bosses for glory.

Level 5
Naw. The Arena can be used to summon bosses once space for new content runs out. Plus they're cheap thrills and if they involve some kind of unique challenge, they can act as ingame trophies of sorts. Completed events that not all players can succeed in.

I've always loved Arena based areas where you can fight massive bosses for glory.

Agreed.

Status
Not open for further replies.