• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

New --> Anime Hero Arena Fi

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 2
I am well into work on a new version of Anime Hero Arena. I am using "Anime Hero Arena Fi" as a working title for now and I expect for it to be the final name.

This project was inspired by the old Anime Hero Arena maps, which have always been some of my favorite maps, but i felt that despite all the interpretations by different designers, none of them seemed done or complete to a degree that map them stand put from the horde of average W3 maps. Generally the terrain is dull, and the characters are poorly designed. Because its a traditionally unlocked map many versions are rigged by moobs who cant win a fair fight. I also felt that that the map always seems to devolve into a tome fest.

When I took the first few steps into this project, I had intended to modify an older version of AHA, but once i got a copies of a few versions it was clear that they were all riddled with problems that no one had ever tried to solve. When examining the triggers you could see haw layer after layer had been added making quite the broken jungle of a mess that takes away from the overall quality of the map.

I decided that a clean start was the best option. The only thing i copied from an older AHA was the terrain shape. So I opened a new map pasted in the terrain completely which was completely devoid of any doodads or units, then deleted the default trigger for a melee game, changed the map description, and got down to the business of redecorating the whole surface area leaving just the general terrain shape. I moved and created whole new terrain structures. many were not placed in the right spot, and were not parallel. I revised the custom tileset and nearly retiled the whole map. I did away with the old arena, the area in the top right, the unit selection quater, and victory podium, remaking them in my own vision. I then went about adding doodads to add to the visual appeal, often in a similar fashion to the old AHA's.

Now I came to the meat of the map, the triggers that make the whole map work. I wrote every single trigger from scratch, mostly without even considering the method with which the old triggers went about preforing the same actions. You find that in comparison mine are often at a higher level of abstraction than the older ones making the map more efficient. The way everything is now is by no means final as the map is still a work in progress, and I often add new triggers for abilities and boss AI which are my current challenges.

Originally i left the level cap at 10. While the level cap was at 10 i put in around 40 characters. However I later decided to revise the level cap to 18.
Since i have completed revising 7 character to the new level cap and added 1 new one. All character will have 3-5 custom abilities like the heroes in Anime Wars do. So far i have not included any custom characters models becasue i only have 5 and have not yet decided whether to include them. I do have custom spell animations and such though which i feel add much more value to the game per file size.

I have designed the combat to be much more like Arena Nexus, which is another one of my favorite maps! I have rid the game of the tome fest crap. I didnt remove tomes. I just balanced supply and demand. There are many custom shops, but each team can only build two of the shops in addition to the tome shop and the pawn shop will exist at the start of the game. Each shop is based on an anime and all the items from those shops are from the shows.

Shows from which I'm adding characters:
-Inuyasha
-Bleach
-Cowboy Bebop
-Naruto & Shippuden
-Rurouni Kenshin
-Dragonball Z and related
-Some Gundam
-Big O
-Samurai Champloo
-Trigun
-S-cry-ed
-Yuyu hakusho
-.hack
-DNAngel
-Blood +

If you would like to see characters from shows not listed here please remember the following before posting.
1. The show you seek is in fact an Anime. I do not want Manga, Video Game, or non-Anime cartoons requested.
2. No hentai!
3. For other suggestions i ask this: Dont be stupid, Ya moron!

I will not be running tests for a about a month, but all input is appreciated. I will try to post some pics of the map thus far in the terrain forum today or tommorow.

Edit:
Here are those pics I promised.

Last edited:
Level 1
Omfg S-cry-ed

im gonna love your map...

blah blah blah necropost i know i know..shaddap..

Status
Not open for further replies.