• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

New 5 Race UNIQUE RTS, Looking for Helpers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 6
I'm using the felwood template, so the water is already green. No worries, terrain is my forte. So far I have it all done except metal and stone. Crystals, plants, animals and wood are done.

The terrain is actaully based off a short story I wrote for a class in highschool a few years back.

Edit: If you want, you can start thinking of units for the Tausri...maybe start with the starting units. The workers should have something like 100 hp, like 5 attack to ground units, and a secondary attack that attacks only debris for 2 damage. (Debris are going to be used for plants that give food). He should have something like 2000 mp which represents energy.
Foods going to use a dummy ability that tells the player how much food the unit is carrying...don't worry about that tho, I can do that.

Then the sleeping vat should have say 1000 hp and no attack or anything. Something like that.

Idk if you need to just jump into doing it and adding it to a map or if your more about concepts. If your all about concepts then I'll just leave you to it. Just remember that every building/unit needs a very high time cost but no resource cost. A player's food stock is going to slowly go down slowly so they'll need to keep gathering so it stays above 0. I was thinking of adding a max food capacity so they can't just harvest a ton at a time and adding food storage centers that add to the capacity. Idk though, what do you think?

Last edited:
Level 20
Food capacity is necessary.And maybe if food falls to zero units should become week.
This is going to be interesting race because of the free buildings.
An I usually add stuff in to map, I never have big plan only basic idea.
I will try to think some kind of units for Tausri.
I think that their first unit should be week because of the "Free" factor but as you develop units get stronger.They should have little bigger training time but because of the "rush" Tasuri need some kind of protection at start.

But maybe Tausri mind control isn't that bad but it should be enlightening.Instead to force units they open their minds...But that is just idea.

Level 6
The Tausri don't have mind control powers, they can communicate with their minds and create things with their minds, but they never developed a mind control type thing.

And yes, it's going to be hard balancing the Tausri, especially their first units. I was thinking, maybe allow the workers to create a weaker defensive unit that has a limited timed life that doesn't require a building to produce. I still want their first actual unit (one they can assult with) be stronger. (Like 5x stronger than a normal unit, but take 60 seconds to build with just 1 guy building it).

Yeh I just realized something. The whole idea of the Tausri is to have them be able to help build things...including units, which means unit producing buildings will have to produce units differently. Eh, I'll work out a system.

Level 6
The story and the tooltips kind of go hand in hand. When I first designed this map, I was thinking in terms of "what if this was a real game" so I figured lore would be a big part of it, but it really isn't.

I would like to add a short historical type couple of sentences for a description along with some basic stats for the tooltips.

Example:

Tausri Mind
The Tausri are very advanced beings who have
learned to use their minds in everything they do.
This however makes them tire faster and may
need a sleeping vat to recover.

Damage: 5
Cooldown: 2.2
HP: 86 A: 0
MP: 1000
Usefulness: Basic Taursi Worker, can manifest
buildings/units with shear mind power.​

So basically I'm looking for someone who can create part of a story and put bits and pieces of it onto each tooltip along with some stats and a very short description of it's uses. If you think you can do this, I mean create a good story that fits together and write the tooltips, then your the man for the job.

EDIT: I think I have a solution for the unit building problem. I could have them build like I was planning to have units build in my total annihilation map. That is, when a building starts producing a unit, create a unit outside of the building produce a dummy unit that can be helped and such which in tern sets the progress for the unit being built inside the factory...Lol sorry if this sounds complicated, I think I can get that to work.

Level 10
I was thinking after reading the dragoonari description that their color should be blue. so...How bout this,

Attachments

• Picture 1.png
    Picture 1.png
    180.8 KB · Views: 97
Level 6
Maybe use a lighter blue so the colors contrast more so its easier to read. It seems pretty good, but maybe a little more literary. I actually gave you a poor example actually.

Here are some better descriptive parts (its actually taken from my dscriptions on my zergling blood map, so don't take it word for word). Also, this doesn't really have history in it, so it needs some history backing it a little. Its kind of like writing a book actually, except very breif.

Heroes:

Devouring One - A genetically altered zergling supped up for ultimate destruction. Let one of these loose and your opponents won't know what hit them.

Hydralisk - A deadly silent killer, these hydralisks weren't breed for total destruction, but for assassinations. Use wisely.

Hunter Killer - These vile creatures earned their name with they're deadly strike. Using their speed, they can hunt down almost any foe.

Space Marine - Mostly hardened criminals deployed by the confederacy to keep zerglings in control. Mechanically inject their blood with stim and they won't get enough blood.

Medic - Trained and fitted for survival, medics use their knowledge to repair damaged suits not only safe at home, but on the field.

Ghost - Highly trained sniper, skilled in the art of killing. Althought he's slow to move, his high damage more than makes up for it, a true Assassin.

Firebat - A Firebat's suit, built like a tank, can withstand most damage. It's no wonder these flamers were first deployed against the zerg swarms.

Zealot- Armed with 2 psi blades, zealots are among the most dedicated killers in the galaxy.

Dragoon - Once a hero among zealots dies, his consciousness is transferred into a mechanical body, known as the dragoon. Wielding less mobility, the dragoon packs a powerful punch behind a strong body.

Dark Templar - Armed with a single warp blade, these dark templars utilize the energies of the void to deliver devastating destruction. Able to bend light around themselves, they appear invisible, but as a result, have frail bodies.

And don't forget about the Usage part. Basically there are 3 parts.

Description - Describes the unit's role in the story of EDEN.
Statistics - Shows its basic stats, to inform the player.
Uses - Informs the player of their primary use.
(abilities can either go in the description or uses area)

EDIT: Er, nvm, you did put int he usage part lol. My bad.

For the description, maybe something like:

For thousands of years, Dragoonari have trained as
early as adolescence, advancing their skills in battle,
allowing them to conjure dazzling spells of all kinds.

Idk, it just needs to be very literary, telling the player a little about their history, but it's also stuff that'll help you in battle. From this description, it says its something they've done for a long time, but it also says they level up in battle and cast spells.

Level 6
I'll see if I can upload some screens tomorrow (I may even finish doing it tonight).

Basically it's semi-small and is made for 4 players, I was hoping to expand this over several maps, but the starting one may be a little too small. So basically I'm saying nothings final yet.

So...it has 4 main starting spots in the 4 corners. It's based off a short story I wrote in highschool. Green acidic water (only the hobunari can swim in it), small clumps of vegetation on top of small hills, lots of water. There's some unpathable acid spots as well as rocky spots that are unbuildable. It's made on the felwood template if that helps.

But yeh, I'll upload some screenshots tomorrow.

Edit: Ok, I lied, I uploaded them tonight.

Last edited:
Level 3
Your project is just awesome, great idea, I can do models for you.
I have good ideas of aesthetic features to your project.

Taursi - Head of a bird-like creature, body with tentacles and much sophisticated mystical looking utensils and vestiment. The animations would be slow and calm, clever looking when walking or working. Ultimate unit would be a dream-thing with many hybrid body parts.

Dragoonari - Humanoids with wings and a reptile face, with a mean personality in their animations.

Hobunari - Plant-hybrids, vary a lot from one to another, sometimes can show fungi features. They look less developed, with no armor or cutting metal weapons.

Human - boring as always. (maybe some idea to make them less boring.)

Tausra - Insect-looking, very quick and low-poly models for they are in swarms. Intelligent creatures by the way, for they copy others.

I don't know if you would like custom models, since it would raise filesize, but I'd love to do them. I would try to keep them at most at 200kb each.

Level 6
I'm going to add more vegetation that you can harvest that'll give it more detail, but I want to have all the normal "doodads" and things be able to be useful in some way, so the end result may be somewhat plain as well.

Level 6
It really isn't as flat as it appears in the screenshots, but yeh, I will be adding a little more dept to it.

Btw, have you made any units? Maybe even start with some creative unit names and attatching them to units in the WE. They don't need to be made on the same map, I can always just import them.

Level 20
I was busy this days.Sorry.
Here is idea:
Tausri summoner (worker unit) makes first unit Tausri Initiate.
First unit will be only week one because of the balance.
Build time 30 around seconds.Normal units are usually around 20.
HP around 100-200
Next we need is ranged one which will be more power full.Build time around
35-40 seconds.They will be some kind of aliens.

Tausra should make units similar to their enemies.Like if they fight Human they will have some kind of copy of human unit.

Maybe I will need some help because I don't now what you have in mind.

I didn't know you can extract data from object editor?That could help me with my other projects.

Last edited:
Level 6
I want the Tausri to have a HUGE build time but huge power. Basically a 90 second build time where as the humans maybe build at 20 seconds and the hobunari build at 5 seconds. The first unit needs to definitely be a bit stronger. The idea is that 1 Tausri unit can take on something like 6 normal units, but take a longer time to build.

Also, we should probably do humans/tausra last, they will be the most difficult to do and will require a lot of trigger work.

I'll see if I can make a couple of units tomorrow or something so you have something to start off with.

Btw, if you want to add units from a different map, you can go into the object editor, go under file and click "Export All Object Data..." then you can save it and import it on a different map the same way.

Level 6
FN?

It sounds pretty good, of course, once the games farther a long, I'll do a lot of heavy duty balancing work so I'll prob change anyways. I suppose what is really important is the unit names and functions anyways.

btw, don't actually had a food cost, the food will take a certain amount out per unit per minute or something.

Also, the way armor/attack types work is unknown. I'll give u some more heads up tomorrow, after I work on it for a bit.

Level 6
I've been working on the map and ran into a few snags that've put me back a bit. I have solutions but it'll mean redoing the terrain and such :/. I'll keep working on it, hopefully I'll have a few examples of units in place as well as resource gathering for the Tausri by the end of the week.

EDIT: I forgot to mention, everyone except the Hobunari and Dragoonari have only 1 real class. The rest is what they create. What I'm saying is, the Tausri, for example, have 1 unit which is the builder. The rest that they create isn't of their species.

I got a little bit of stuff done today, but I got through the Tausri food resourcing and will finish the rest of the Tausri base tomorrow and upload it.

Last edited:
Level 2
I think i can help you with tooltips and GUI triggering. :D
just tell me what to do, and i will do it.

Level 6
Heh, I just ran into a big problem with GUI but I think I solved it.

Right now I'm working on Taursi resources. (they only require food, which is harvested like wood). The problem is, the hobunari use wood and need to harvest it like the Taursi harvest food as well as the humans have a metal resource that is harvested in the same manor. I want them to all harvest the same way, but I don't want them to be able to harvest the other resources.

Right now I have it so the Tausri can harvest the food with 'harvest' and the food resources are labeled as trees and when they harvest it, they can return it to themselves, giving +2 lumber each time then the lumber is converted to food. (so that it's displayed in the food slot, not the lumber slot).

Eh, I can see all this is confusing to explain so I assume it's semi-complicated to read. The important thing is, I think it's all fixed so no problem. I'll talk to you if I have any trig work for you though.

Level 6
Ok I have a new course of action. Instead of doing a little bit of the Taursi and giving it to u guys to look at, I'm going to do a little bit of each race so you guys can better understand the game as a whole. So this'll take a bit longer. I suppose I'll give myself another 1 week deadline (just in case there's another snag like this time).

Level 6
As of right now, no, not really. If you could try and understand the story
as best you can that'd be helpful for later though.

VeljkoM, if he's still interested, will start on the units once I get the
beginning done, and you'll be adding the tooltips for them.

I've been having trouble working out the resources and making sure each race can't harvest from someone else's resource. I just had a major break through today so now I just need to put it together, re-add the doodads and get unit types and basics down for each race. Luckily, all that will probably take as much time as it took me to fix the resources. xD

Level 6
I already have Thorneon working on tooltips. Perhaps I could give you both a different race to work on?

I'm still sorting out a few things and creating a few starting units, but once I'm done with that I can the map to VeljkoM and the two of us will continue to make units and then like half way through that we can give it to u 2 to make tooltips.

Actually I may need help with a few trigs. I'll keep you posted.

Level 6
lol everyone thinks a different race is protoss like, but if you ask me, none of them really do. Think of the dragoonari as a wizard clan that starts out with a few basic spells and level up their skills into awesome spells.

Actually I"m going to need spells if seph wants to do that since he knows triggers. I don't want extreme lag busting spells though, some simple cool designs would be nice.

Level 6
Its not done yet -.- and there are raises.

EDIT: Ok, I fixed up the terrain and this is how its going to look until beta versions. (I goofed up on the grasses so I have to redo it at some point no matter what...)
This time the screenshots are taken in the game instead of in the editor, but there are some non-game view screenshots as well as game view screenshots.

I provided some examples of the tooltips that I've created. I'd like to see more like them when you guys do them. I don't have all the basic units done yet so I'm going to wait to hand it out.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.