• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • 🏆 Hive's 6th HD Modeling Contest: Mechanical is now open! Design and model a mechanical creature, mechanized animal, a futuristic robotic being, or anything else your imagination can tinker with! 📅 Submissions close on June 30, 2024. Don't miss this opportunity to let your creativity shine! Enter now and show us your mechanical masterpiece! 🔗 Click here to enter!

Neithian Forest

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 6
Just a small peek into a forest. I had nothing particular in mind when I started, after I was finished it reminds me a lot of Elder Scroll Oblivion. Anyway hope you like it, even when the pic´s small and not high quality (using my laptop atm due to my broken pc), but I will update pic in better quality later on...

Updated Pic....

Attachments

• Neithian Forest.jpg
    Neithian Forest.jpg
    323 KB · Views: 278
  • Neithian Forest1.jpg
    Neithian Forest1.jpg
    319.5 KB · Views: 223
Last edited:
Level 6
Thx for your reply, indeed the birds are really small compared to the rest. Regarding the background, maybe a sun or more trees to indicate a certain depth are missing I think.

Level 14
The main problem I see, is that you made a very dark sky with extremely bright clouds? Try and tint them to something like 12,12,13. And see how it works. If I were you, i'd stick with the night terrain, it just fits much better, and it actually has congruent atmosphere that way. And the background mountain, I think i see it, maybe not though? It's a bit to far behind the clouds. If the clouds had been tinted correctly, it may have been a great technique to use, but since they aren't it just looks unnatural and ugly. Anyways, it's easily your best terrain, just try and add a bit more depth to the background and it should be awesome!

Level 6
Thx to all I am working on it.
@Azurot I will try tinting the clouds and yes a mountain seems to be a good idea for the background, but atm I am experimenting with the fog...

Level 6
woah, that's really really nice :)

how did you make the sky? especially the grey shadows on the clouds?
I think i prefer the first terrain primarily because of the sky, though i do prefer the vegetation's colouring in the second one.

The curve in the landscape really works nicely, I was thinking that maybe a distant rolling hill to the right may help add a sense of depth and height, but this already has some of that.

Liking this a lot! :infl_thumbs_up:

Level 18
I prefer the first one more than the inproved one. This might be a weird suggestion but what if you make a cinematic doodad of the squirl? put it on the rock in front? i do that a lot just to make it look i dont know realistic/alive :p but like i say its just a suggestion. Besides that i like it but imo on the second screen the clouds are very bright.

Level 6
So...
-I tinted the clouds
-added a mountain in the clouds
-some more trees in the background
-set a squirrel :xxd:
-edited the fog (cause i still havent found my original configuration)
and due to my low resolution I didnt made a cinematic pic this time

@Aziex the grey shadows in the clouds where accidental, I dont know how it looks that way, could be the sky configuration on the first pic I think i got the standard sky, night, bluegray fog.
Btw nice to see that you finally got an avatar.

Attachments

• Neithian Forest2 updated.jpg
    Neithian Forest2 updated.jpg
    492.4 KB · Views: 125
Level 14
I do like this a bit more, but my main problem is that the last tree you see, looks like it's at the base of the that large mountain. And since they are on the same plane of your fog, the eye perceives them as the same distance away. Making the tree nearly as big as this gigantic mountain.
The mountain is a tad jagged as well, and isn't as smooth as you'd expect.

Something you could try is add even more depth to the fog, and bring that last tree a bit closer, and add very smooth hills to the back ground. Your computer may end up dying. But i think this will definantly enhance the depth of the terrain. But as I said, it's much better now.

Status
Not open for further replies.