• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

NEED YOUR VOICE: Quenching Trial

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zorrot

Hosted Project: QM
Level 16
The entire article will take about 10 minutes to read. If you are not a big fan of typefaces, you are welcome to watch the video first and go straight to the last part.

This post will be quite straightforward - It's about the fate of a map. Quenching Trial is a passionate project which under development for nearly two years. I haven't posted much about this map, yet today I would like to discuss a little bit about it with you guys - I'm not sure if I should carry on.

I want to make the map QT is because I thought WC3 reforged have great potential, at least better than what we get currently. The lastest Bzapi could do much more than 1.31, which gives us a chance to build something better than classic times. Inspired by many great authors and projects, we decided to do something quite unique and challanging - which is the Quenching Trial.

Before the hardest part, I'd like to introduce a little bit about this project, and we made a vedio brief for it. I'm not really a big fan of self-promotion and stuff, but it's also pretty hard to say everything though typing. I picked some of the main features in this video due to my busy life, but I'm good to discuss more with everyone.

QT is a APRG game, it's control system is basically diablo + warcraft while it's game play style is based more on indie games like Hades. So far, we did 80% percent of our combat system, half of the enemy design, and 30% of all dialogs. We have plan to make six different world, the level that we demostrated in video are almost finished, and another 3 still work in progress. If I have to say, there are some positive side of this map.

1,It got pretty nice garphic, at least I did my best to make it kinda special.

2,It's kind of fun to play. We spent tons of time in control system to make it feel like a arpg.

3,The making of QT is up to a quite high standard. Many new tech in 1.32 helped us to make interesting systems.

And I have to confess about what I'm worry about this project.

1, It's too hard to make. We won't say how hard or what blah blah blah we been though, but since QT is a neat project, every detail takes time. We want to make everything in this map worth playing, which makes we have to set up combat logic for most of the creeps. Two man is not very enough for such a project.

2,We are lack of resources. We need a lots of music and sounds to make the proper atomesphere, the warcraft music is good, but not really fits the scenario. A even bigger problem is the character, we have to use default models, but its very far from what those character really looks like. We plan to draw illustrations for characters, but it will be awkward if model itself is different.

3,We really need your voices. I'm not a single tear developer who think about himself as a real artist... I'm just a normal guy, and I want to make something that everyone could have fun. Compare to the other difficulties, this is even more significant - I told myself maybe its a better idea to make some campiagns, yet there are many great authors already put their effort on it, but we choose to try something new .. I will be very greatful to hear from you, wether you like this map or not, like if this is just another cliche idea, or you like to play it in action; nevertheless, if you have any suggestion, please let us know, we kinda need your help and opinion. You may also send this to your friend and ask their advice.

May wc3 grow stronger!

Last edited:
Level 4
What do you expect to be the total budget required to complete this project and how much time do you expect that to take?
How many people are currently working on the project and who do you need?

Zorrot

Level 16
What do you expect to be the total budget required to complete this project and how much time do you expect that to take?
How many people are currently working on the project and who do you need?
We may buy some models or textures but mainly cost time. We may need artist, but I guess we will leave it until we finally decide how should we build this game, and how will most gamers loved to try it.

Level 4
We may buy some models or textures but mainly cost time. We may need artist, but I guess we will leave it until we finally decide how should we build this game, and how will most gamers loved to try it.
1. Seriously consider the financial aspect of the project. Otherwise, you will abandon the project, just like countless other people abandoned theirs. It's just a matter of time.

Calculate how much time you've already spent working on this, multiply the total number of hours by your hourly salary, and make that the lower bound for the budget you have to raise.

2. As a minimum viable product, make a multiplayer arena out of this map, and promise to release it to the donors after 50% of the budget is raised.
This way, you can give people a tangible product and motivation to fund your project until its completion.
Make sure only the donors can play the map.

3. Create social media accounts on Instagram/Twitter/Facebook to create visibility that will help you raise the money and find the talent you need.

If you need help in organizing this and curating your project, DM me, I'll make sure this project is completed and won't charge you anything for it.

Level 4
I am curios what story you have to tell.
Looks and plays good from the trailer and if you also add 2 player Cooperative, Quenching Trial surely has potential.
Big fan of your Quenching Mod, too, so please don't give up.

Alternatively (and this has to be considered for such an ambitious map), if you do give up, repurpose it to tell or expand on some unknown stories in the WarCraft RTS trilogy (with hero only maps) or share with the community what you've done. :)

Last edited:

Zorrot

Level 16
I am curios what story you have to tell.
Looks and plays good from the trailer and if you also add 2 player Cooperative, Quenching Trial surely has potential.
Big fan of your Quenching Mod, too, so please don't give up.

Alternatively (and this has to be considered for such an ambitious map), if you do give up, repurpose it to tell or expand on some unknown stories in the WarCraft RTS trilogy (with hero only maps) or share with the community what you've done. :)
Thanks, this story is not related to war3, but an independent story that happened in a place called the helix tower, the resident must follow the light at all cost or die. It's still in working progress, hope i could do it faster

Level 21
Indeed nice graphics, the reforged models actually work in this setting.
With such projects you need to take your time.
You could work on a demo-version of sorts, highlighting most of the important aspects and get valuable feedback.

Level 2
This is an amazing project! It looks to be up to an incredible standard. My suggestion is to take it slow and steady, hopefully more team members, but don't be discouraged or intimidated by your own expectations. I am excited to see this project completed but I am also happy just to try it and see continual improvements. My best advice is to take it easy and release alpha versions that are not highly polished (custom sounds/dialogues and models are amazing but not essential for the enjoyment in my opinion), get some feedback and eventually you will reach all of your goals. Great work guys!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.