• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!

[General] Need some guidance for setting up a project.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 1
Hello!

For many years I've had a self-use project in mind, and I just haven't taken the plunge to learn what I need to learn. I think I'm going to do that now.

The project is a prototype for future game designs. I will be designing an RPG class system for an upcoming [long down the road] Kickstarter project. Since the game will play a lot like a MOBA, I want to use the WC3 editor to help me prototype the functionality of each class.

So I hope to revisit this thread multiple times as I set myself up. Way before I get started learning specific WC3 editor skills, I need will be setting up my project and will need to ask questions about specific mechanics to figure out what part of the editor I need to learn for this feature or that feature. Then I can go about my learning process in a methodical way.

I'm hoping I can get some helpful guidance from the huge amount of experience on this forum!

Level 1
So, my first order of business is to ask a few questions about Hero structures to help me determine how closely I can get to my design within the confines of the editor.

1) Is it possible to create new Hero stats, or are you stuck with the core that Blizzard created? If so, what part of the editing process allows me to do this?

2) Is it possible to create new Hero resources, i.e., something other than mana? These are not my specific mechanics but, as examples, can I create Rage, Energy, Focus, Holy Power, a Rune system, a Solar/Lunar system, etc.? If so, what part of the editing process allows me to do this?

I think this thread was more suited in the off-topic section, but whatever!
Just get started and post here when you run into troubles.
Also. If you are completely green in map making/triggering I suggest you read some beginner tutorials so you at least know the basic. That will save both you and us time.

Good luck on your project! :)

Edit:
Bye the way.
Asking multiple questions in the same thread is not good. Instead create several threads with non relating topics.

Edit 2:

1) No. They are hardcoded. Use variables to store/show custom attributes.

2) No. They are hardcoded. Use variables to store/show custom attributes.

Level 1
Sorry. I figured that as a set of general questions, the thread would belong in the most general forum. If it needs to be moved that's no bother. I'm not yet interested in getting into the nitty-gritty of how to accomplish my goals just yet, but rather to set up my project plan. Thus -- the structure of my thread.

I wanted to keep it as one thread because the questions will build off one another, and anyone paying attention to the thread will be able to follow along without having to poke around to find this question over here and the answer that was given. I considered this thread a bit of a "conversation" with the community, not so much help on specific skills. I will do that separately once I start actively working on the project.

So if you don't mind, your answers are just a bit too vague for me to fully grasp them. I'm green to the WC3 editor but not to programming and game designing, so don't be afraid to answer as expertly as you're able. I can seek clarification if need be.

I certainly imagined that I would have to create custom variables, but is there a specific scripting language used for setting up globals? And can you reference those globals from anywhere? Can they be used to overwrite the default variables? For example, can you create a Rage system and then replace all your Hero's calls to the hardcoded Mana system with calls to the Rage system? And the same for stats?

Edit: P.S. -- Please understand that the purpose of this thread is for helping me understand what the editor can do, as I am not familiar enough with it to know its powers and limitations. I know I can make maps and mods, tell stories, create cutscenes, and so on...but I don't know how far I can push it. I'm trying to figure that out.

Status
Not open for further replies.