• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

In need of some help

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 2
I need help ! fast since im devoted to my ideas but can't really get anywhere

Hello

(Hopefully i placed this thread in the right place)

So i am in need of some help and guidance, with what is listed below:

At the time being i have 3 projects in mind, and im very commited to making them come true.

I have out of these 3 come up with wich one will be the easiest wich i will start with. Altough these ideas i have still ain't what i would call easy for someone who have no idea where to start, i know its best to start out with something simple but if i am to be pleased with my projects simple aint just it.

So what i would like some help with is :

- What should i start with ?

- Models
- Terrain
- Triggers
- Etc

- Got any great tutorials you could recommend ?

I would like to to most things myself, for the experience
but it wouldnt hurt if there is someone who would like to support me with questions i might have with MSN possibly.

So the project im going to start with is going to be a survival map,
and its going to take place within a mine.

Wich also means the players will have the opportunity to shape theyre base the way the want it.

Its gonna need somekind of level system for skills. For example "Sentry Gun" or whatever i choice to call the basic turret is not gonna be leveled by the characters level, no i want it to level up according to kills and experience.

Example of what i mean :

When a sentry gun gets a kill it would reward 1 experience

and when a sentry gun is constructed it will reward 10 experience
something like that. (What levels up is not that single individual sentry gun but the spell of the character).

Its also going to need a decent AI i guess.

For now i would like to call this project, My First Project.
Since i have decided that when im about 70% done with the map
il look over what i learned and how much i enjoyed working with this map.

Depending on what my conclusion is il decide wether it will be a franchise with a deep storyline or just a entertaining survival. I alredy have some ideas for a title, for example if i decide it to be a franchise i might name it

The Forgotten Ones - The Miners Story/Point of view
followed by a sequel The Forgotten Ones - Daylight, something like that.

And if just a single fun survival it would be something like Deep Underground.

As you can see i have tons of ideas but nothing to work with, Please help me i would appreciate it a lot!

~ FeedMyInfection

Last edited:
Level 24
Ok well in most projects the first thing you will need to create is a basic outline of the terrain. It doesn't have to be anything that looks good, you just need to know where everything is, so you can begin triggering. Then you can simply finish off the terrain later on when you have a chance.

As for tutorials, theres not much I can recommend without a specific subject, but heres a few that might help you get started off.Those are a few tutorials I can think of, however there are a lot more in the tutorials section if your looking for some specific.

As for the Sentry Gun question, the easiest way to do this in my opinion would be to just make the Sentry Gun a Hero, so it would gain experience like any other hero. You could then just set it so it hides the Hero Icon that appears in the top left corner of the screen.

Anyway, my advice is to try and get the basic gameplay done. This could include a basic hero for the player to use, perhaps some enemies which spawn and automatically move around the map, just the essential things your map needs to have, which makes it playable. You could even test it at this stage a couple of times and see whats good about the map, and what areas need improvement. Then once you have the basics done you can begin adding all the little bits and pieces to the map, such as the Sentry Guns.

Hope that helped, and good luck with your map. If you need any help feel free to send me a PM :)

Status
Not open for further replies.