• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Need precisions on THW Rules: Content

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 10
I found this one the rules section :

The Hive Workshop's Rules said:
Contents

3. Game exports: As of September 28, 2011, The Hive Workshop is accepting the exportation and use — in maps or mods — of artistic resources (skins, icons, and models) from games whose copyrights are owned by Activision Blizzard or Blizzard Entertainment.
The Hive does not accept, in the form of submissions, exports or edits of exports, no matter how minimal they are, of artistic resources whose copyrights are not owned by Blizzard. Hyperlinks to such works are also forbidden.

Does it mean I cannot use a picture found on google to enhance a map description?
Let's say I'm creating a Star Wars RPG game, can't I use some pictures of Darth Vader, the text Font of Star Wars or it infringe the article quoted above?

Level 18
Well, what if I use, for example, a picture of Optimus Prime (from a promo poster or something) as a texture and upload the model using that texture in the model section? Would it be acceptable then without infringing any copyrights?

Rui

Rui

Level 41
Wow, that rule is still there? I thought Archian had yanked it with the rest of the others. When I made that rule, the objective was to say that you can't use anything that's copyrighted by other companies — and I believe I forgot to add this last part and instead placed «not by Blizzard Entertainment», which logically guarantees its copyrights are Blizzard's or you can't import it. Of course it's over-extensive because a picture of Darth Vader wouldn't hurt.
I don't like the rule myself so I'd rather just have scrapped it altogether.

Status
Not open for further replies.