• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Need ideas for a training/seminar!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 2
Our department's supervisor is going to retire late this year. I'm one of the two candidates that can possibly be chosen for that position. I've worked hard to get to where I am now, that is, department manager. I've worked lots of late hours, sometimes unpaid, just to make sure that my work is of the best quality and quantity.

The other department manager and I are being given a month to prepare for a training/seminar for the other department supervisors and managers.The group that we will be instructing has been divided into two. So that's one for the other manager and one for me. It wasn't specifically said that this will affect who will get the department supervisor position but still I really want to do my best.

Have I mentioned that I work in the HR department that's why we're in charge of the training, seminars and workshops?

Well anyway, my problem now is how I can make this seminar really worthwhile and memorable for the group that I will be instructing. What do you think is the best way to make presentations? Is it better if we hold the seminar outdoors or just stick with the conference room? Any suggestions, tips, advice?

Thank you so much! I'm looking forward to your replies

Level 19
Attending seminars outdoors will put some kind of excitement to your group. They will wonder how will be your seminar and they will expect something much more interesting.

I'm still a student but I've attended seminars where it is so boring that I've lost my interest and seminars that really caught my attention for the whole time.

Kazeon

Hosted Project: EC
Level 33
I can't say much but I will just tell you what makes me bored when I'm attending these kind of shits (I don't really like it). I'm bored if the presenter doesn't speak loudly (not clear), you need to speak clearly, and always bring an interesting topic (ofc). And don't be so serious, give'em some little jokes here and there. If you can give'em some good laughs, it's going to be fairly memorable. And keep a smile on that face. Usually, people will appreciate you more if you keep smiling or at least give'em a nice look. The slide show (if you use one) must be clear and readable, don't give a "complex" theme for it. And make sure the attendants feel comfortable about the room (environment).

That's all I can say. Good luck there.

Oh! And I find it become more interesting if the presenter is a young woman.

EDIT:
And remember you are talking to attendants, not to the wall/roof. So make sure your eyes look right to them. These are the basics of good presentation actually, I'm not sure you don't know about this yet.

Level 21
Ask simple questions regarding what you're talking about, and give little rewards to people that answer them correctly. That would keep everyone paying attention and wanting to feel appreciated just for "winning". You could lightly toss the rewards to them to make it even more interesting if you have good aim.

Level 2
Thanks for your suggestions and tips. I made a list. LOL. I'm so excited and nervous at the same time. You know that feeling where you both anticipate it and dread it?

Anyway, do you guys think it's a good idea to use something like these sets that focus on supervisory skills. I found them online when I was looking for tips. Do you think it'll be effective or maybe I should just make my own presentation and everything?
What about games? Our department supervisor never really liked playing games during seminars but I'd love to play some. Do you think it's childish?

Level 21
Personally, I feel you should simply do the following:

1- Ask rhetorical questions. They are usually effective with people and lets the audience share you more
2- Be precise. Don't run around a topic for ages or the audience will lose its interest and get bored. Go directly to the point.
3- Don't ever stammer! If you start hesitating with what you say, that's the moment you'll despair! At the same time, don't gabble (speak so quickly that nobody understands you) because people need to follow you. Keep training a lot beforehand on what you'll say to be sure that your seminar flows smoothly and fluently
4- Add some humour to your seminar. People don't want to listen to something boring and too serious
5- Just before the big time, calm down, let up, relax...... A calm mind leads to a calm spirit. This reduces your stress levels significantly and makes you feel less nervous. Don't feel too anxious about it or you'll end up being overzealous or overexcited and muck up the seminar, which isn't certainly what you want

As for the game thing, I'd recommend forgetting about it. You are doing a seminar, not a speech to children.

Status
Not open for further replies.