• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Need help with Mdlvis

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 11
How can I make a hole in a model? Is there a way to easily delete the surface inside that inner square without messing up the rest of the model? Thanks in advance.

square-jpg.321612

oh. well. um. yes, you go to vertexes, you turn only 1 geoset on at a time, and left click a surface area, and click the button on the side called ''delete triangle'' do not delete any thing else, then they become points un attached to each other with no triangles. just do that over and over til you have all the triangles deleted, and make your own new triangles, in this case, the shape of trapazoids, or is it tetchrehdron? the /`_`\ shape inbetween them, and make the new triangles the way you want them, for example, with a big square hole in the center.

next, you'd need to fix the UV wrap, by going to the UV wrap section, and if it has any image on it, which you could yes then fix slowly once you figure out what points are where in the uv wrap.

if it doesn't have an image, then it doesn't matter too much.

it would help if I knew what model were even talking about here, this ones pretty minimal. is it mostly particle effects?

Level 11
Mglrmglmglmgl, thanks for listening to my prayers, Lord of the Murlocs.

Well, the solution seems to be beyond my skills. Fortunately, I can go on without this edit for now. Just wondering, isn't there a way to place a square-shaped texture up there in the middle which makes all the textures behind it go magically invisible? I don't now why I've got the weird feeling I achieved this in the past by messing with materials in Magos.

it would help if I knew what model were even talking about here, this ones pretty minimal. is it mostly particle effects?

https://www.hiveworkshop.com/threads/lava.222317/ And if you feel curious, I need a square hole in the middle of this model to surround a piece of land with lava and keep some kind of empty crater in it.

''isn't there a way to place a square-shaped texture up there in the middle which makes all the textures behind it go magically invisible?''

not that im aware of, no.

you can get ''faces'' turned the wrong way, when a materials one sided the wrong side of a mesh is invisible, but that only works from some angles, which then, it returns to being visible. you do not see this with 2 sided materials, but 2 sided materials cost more model space. easily remedied by selecting the triangle with the offending ''wrong sided face'' by clicking the button named ''reverse normals'' which turns the faces the other way around, again in a 2 sided material, you wont see much effect, but in a 1 sided material, it often causes ''holes'' in mesh to fill in -- a useful tool sometimes.

Status
Not open for further replies.