• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Need help with Alpha Channels

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 5
Hey there guys.
I can't get my alpha channels to work =(. I've been following tutorials and doing everything needed, but my alpha channels simply won't work. They are not even saving in the .tga files I do.

You can get a detailed description of the problem on this thread (last couple posts)

Level 8
I'm using photoshop CS3, but it can't be that different.

When you open your .tga image, go to the channels tab, and there, if there is not a Alpha Layer, click on the button to create a new layer (or channel, don't remember how it's called, I've marked it with blue), and it will create the Alpha.

Then you modify that to let what you want to be visible and what not.

Attachments

• untitled.JPG
    untitled.JPG
    126.7 KB · Views: 91
Level 5
yea that's what i've been trying to do
however, it wont save my channel if I try to open the file again, neither transfer the transparent parts to wc3

Level 5
This is how I do it:

1 - I open my Texture (which was previously saved as .tga)

2 - I select the areas I want to remove

3 - I go to channels tab and add a new channel by clicking the button on the bottom.

4 - On that channel, I change all the areas I want to be visible to white, and the ones I want to remove to black.

5 - The end result is the red mask on the channel's areas, if I turn on the visibily of the channel.

6 - I save the file as 32-bit .tga. When I try to open it again, the channel is gone. If I convert it to .blp and use it in my model, the areas I wanted to be invisible won't be.

Level 5
FINALLY SOLVED omg
This was cracking my head so bad...
Well, turns out the unupdated version of photoshop 7.0 has a bug for the alpha channels is Targa files.

For those who might have the same problem as I did, just download the update from adobe's site

Status
Not open for further replies.