• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Alpha channles and TGA

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi guys, I am trying to make a Fade Filter for my CBSystem and for that I need a Splat Image. Splat images are images that appear on the screen. So far so easy, problem is that I also need to see transparent areas ... and I need to see 4 of them at least. As some of you may know, such transparent areas are created by alpha channels. This wouldn't be a problem, if I need 4 transparent areas in my my, than I just create 4 alpha channels right ? ... Wrong .... Problem is that TGA images, can only have 1 alpha channel. Therefore I can't do it that easily ... I know there are ways of doing, Blizzard did it, I just can't find a way to do it ... Maybe I merge all alpha channels into one, maybe it is something else.

Thing is I can't find an answer for now, can some one help me ?
This is worth +rep ofc.

The alpha channel in a *.tga is for either team coloring or for removal of the part of the texture. Since, in your case, you want the part that is colored in the alpha layer to be removed, simply color all the areas you want removed on the single alpha layer. If you are using multiple skins, color all the areas on each seperate skin (in the alpha layer)

Also, your *.tga should only have one layer each. So if you want to represent multiple images, just create seperate skins.

Hope that all makes sense. If you have any questions, let me know. If I didn't answer your question, please elaborate.
=]

Status
Not open for further replies.