• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Need help to trigger this ability [Oil bomb]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 6
I have an Engineer hero for the ability and Dummies also.

Goal: Oil bomb [AoE] that gonna deal damage per sec + slowing enemies attack and move speed, also the enemies gonna take more damage from fire damage/abilities

Also if it's possible, i want to deal damage x main attribute (Intelligence)

Things that i can't do.
Making AoE x Attribute damage, and the part that enemies gonna recieve more damage from fire.

Level 8
I have an Engineer hero for the ability and Dummies also.

Goal: Oil bomb [AoE] that gonna deal damage per sec + slowing enemies attack and move speed, also the enemies gonna take more damage from fire damage/abilities

Also if it's possible, i want to deal damage x main attribute (Intelligence)

Things that i can't do.
Making AoE x Attribute damage, and the part that enemies gonna recieve more damage from fire.

The best way to do the AOE damage is probably to summon a dummy unit with permanent immolation and the slowing aura (forgot the name, something wind themed). You can quite easily fetch the casting units intelligence and use that as a factor in the damage of the immolation spell that your dummy unit will have.

As for the + to fire damage…. well… that's a bit trickier.
There really isn't any such thing as "fire damage" in the game, so you're going to have to manually trigger this damage bonus every single time that the unit is damaged with something that you would classify as "fire damage". It's going to take quite a bit of effort unless you make a refactorable method for it specifically, and considering that you're stuck on intelligence based damage, this may prove to be a massive headache for you down the road.

Last edited:
Level 6
The best way to do the AOE damage is probably to summon a dummy unit with permanent immolation and the slowing aura (forgot the name, something wind themed). You can quite easily fetch the casting units intelligence and use that as a factor in the damage of the immolation spell that your dummy unit will have.

As for the + to fire damage…. well… that's a bit trickier.
There really isn't any such thing as "fire damage" in the game, so you're going to have to manually trigger this damage bonus every single time that the unit is damaged with something that you would classify as "fire damage". It's going to take quite a bit of effort unless you make a refactorable method for it specifically, and considering that you're stuck on intelligence based damage, this may prove to be a massive headache for you down the road.
Leave the fire damage. Is there a way to make the unit recieve more damage from abilities? I can reduce its armor but thata gonna work only for normal attacks, not abillities.

Level 8
Leave the fire damage. Is there a way to make the unit recieve more damage from abilities? I can reduce its armor but thata gonna work only for normal attacks, not abillities.
That's a good question. I actually don't know if there's an easy way to go about this. Spells like Banish increase spell damage taken, but I think that's because it changes the armor type to "Etheral" or something. If you aren't using a lot of armor and attack types in your map, that may be a way to go about it.
There's also spells like Elune's Grace which reduce spell damage. I have no idea, but maybe it's possible to have that spell give a negative amount of damage reduction, essentially making it increase damage? Just winging it here, because if you can't find a way to increase magic damage taken using a pre-existing buff of some sorts, you're gonna have to do it all manually, and that's going to suck even harder than the fire damage thing.
There's of course the total "batshit" solution of giving every single unit in your map a hidden "Elune's Grace" spell, increase the spell damage of all spells in the game to compensate, and then use this Elune's Grace spell to effectively scale spell damage as you desire at any given point in your map. Labour intensive as all hell? Yes, but also quite powerful.
Again, I have no idea if there's an easier way to go about it, but there's some seriously savvy people on this forum that may pop in at any given time who'd know the answer.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.