• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Need Feedback: Dragon's Den

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 14
Current version of one of the dungeon terrain on my project. I felt like quite unsatisfied with the result especially on the tile since I think it doesn't bend well. :vw_death:

Yes, I'm not using ingame provided tiles.

Any feedback how to improve them visually is pretty much appreciated. Thanks.

FTBattleofMagic-DragonsDen001.jpg

FTBattleofMagic-DragonsDen002.jpg

DragonsDenRevision001.jpg

DragonsDenRevisionSizeComparison.jpg

Last edited:
Level 14
I'd suggest changing the tile around the rocks and crystals to look more like they are coming from the ground and not sticked to it. Also it is too flat for a cave/den. Perhaps playing with the raise/lower tool can fix it. But yes the tile does need to go.

Level 14
alright, thanks for the feedbacks. since everyone mentioning about the tile, I've retouch the current tile and made another one that similar with the rocks as well as a little bump on the ground. here is the current revision of the terrain, and I also put a unit for the size comparison between. any more feedback is always welcome.

DragonsDenRevision001.jpg

DragonsDenRevisionSizeComparison.jpg

Level 8
thank you for the compliments.

hmm. if you mean lag because of doodad usage, that ain't gonna happen because I would usually geomerge a single model that I need in extra numbers into one to avoid using it in a "spam" way.

What i meant, (and probably adiktuz too) is that, high definition doodadds and models, usually have great filrsizes, for example, i know some wow models which i love, but they are like, 5-10MB each... and in a full map they would be soooo laggy : /

Level 14
lol can you believe that the rocks and crystal mesh that I use there is below 30kb (outcluding the texture)?

I know how to reduce the poly for models and making some models with a low polycount, so of course I wouldn't use such models with tremendous size. ^^'

P.S.: the original erza mesh when the first time I covert it with milkshape is only like 52kb (before I bone and animate it). so no, I didn't put any models with the size above 1mb or so.

Level 14
it's true that in fact, what generally makes lowpoly model outstanding is their texture.

high poly models with hundrends of keyframe suppose to be used for a cutscene movie instead of wc3 (except if it purposely has alot of close up shot on cinematic).

Deleted member 212788

D

Deleted member 212788

It looks great but I'd suggest using the miscData.txt file (not sure about the exact name, could be wrong) And make the pathway higher up, and narrower so that you can create a feeling that the path may collapse or something.

Status
Not open for further replies.