1. Updated Resource Submission Rules: All model & skin resource submissions must now include an in-game screenshot. This is to help speed up the moderation process and to show how the model and/or texture looks like from the in-game camera.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. DID YOU KNOW - That you can unlock new rank icons by posting on the forums or winning contests? Click here to customize your rank or read our User Rank Policy to see a list of ranks that you can unlock. Have you won a contest and still havn't received your rank award? Then please contact the administration.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. The poll for Hive's 12th Concept Art Contest is up! Go cast your vote for your favourite genie!
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Travel to distant realms and encounter scenes unknown to the common folk. The Greatest of Adventures is upon us with the 8th Cinematic Contest. Join in on a fun ride.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. The 18th Icon Contest is ON! Choose any ingame unit and give him/her Hero abilities. Good luck to all.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Contestants are to create a scene set in the Stone Age. Come and see what you can come up with. We wish you the best of luck!
    Dismiss Notice
  7. Colour outside the lines! Techtree Contest #13 is a go. The contest is optionally paired.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. Greetings cerebrates, our Swarm needs new spawners that will have numerous children. Join the HIVE's 31st Modeling Contest - Spawners and Spawned! The contest is optionally paired.
    Dismiss Notice
  9. Check out the Staff job openings thread.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
60,000 passwords have been reset on July 8, 2019. If you cannot login, read this.

Need Feedback: Dragon's Den

Discussion in 'Terrain Board' started by andreariona, Sep 6, 2012.

1. andreariona

andreariona

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Current version of one of the dungeon terrain on my project. I felt like quite unsatisfied with the result especially on the tile since I think it doesn't bend well. :vw_death:

Yes, I'm not using ingame provided tiles.

Any feedback how to improve them visually is pretty much appreciated. Thanks.

Previous Version
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Current Revision Based from Feedbacks
    [​IMG]

Size Comparison Between the Unit and Terrain
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 10, 2012
  2. Pharaoh_

Pharaoh_

Resources:
    Icons:
    Skins:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Other than the tileset, which is very repetitive, the absence of cracks on the ground and manual bumps from place to place with a small width, it looks nice.

3. andreariona

andreariona

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    thanks for the feedback. can't deny that the tile looks very much repetitive, perhaps I should make another earthly tile and mix them up.

the theme of the dungeon was originally based from this concept (without the magma):
    spoiler
    [​IMG]

4. Lordkoon

Lordkoon

Resources:
    Resources:
    I'd suggest changing the tile around the rocks and crystals to look more like they are coming from the ground and not sticked to it. Also it is too flat for a cave/den. Perhaps playing with the raise/lower tool can fix it. But yes the tile does need to go.

5. Piwlady

Piwlady

Resources:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    it seems tad flat and monotone, try to get some tile variation and height variaton there. Maybe you could also tweak fog to give it bit more atmosphere.

6. Sin'dorei300

Sin'dorei300

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Skins:
    Template:
    Resources:
    It's too flat and needs more tile vars.

7. andreariona

andreariona

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    alright, thanks for the feedbacks. since everyone mentioning about the tile, I've retouch the current tile and made another one that similar with the rocks as well as a little bump on the ground. here is the current revision of the terrain, and I also put a unit for the size comparison between. any more feedback is always welcome.

Current Revision
    [​IMG]

Size Comparison Between the Unit and Terrain
    [​IMG]

8. Maestros

Maestros

Resources:
    Spells:
    Resources:
    Looking good, quick questions, those rocks and crystals, are they from wow? cause they look much like it :p

EDIT: That redhead with the sword is that Erza? From Fairy Tail?

9. andreariona

andreariona

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    the crystal is obviously edited from WoW.
    and yes, it's erza in flame empress armor from fairy tail.

10. SA Dashie

SA Dashie

Resources:
    Skins:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Template:
    Resources:
    Looks nice so far. ^^

11. Adiktuz

Adiktuz

Resources:
    Models:
    Packs:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    JASS:
    Resources:
    really nice quality... and erza looks so cool... I just hope that map doesn't lag...

12. Maestros

Maestros

Resources:
    Spells:
    Resources:
    This is awsome! Really, but i have to agree with Adiktuz on the lag/fps drop thing...

13. andreariona

andreariona

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    thank you for the compliments.

hmm. if you mean lag because of doodad usage, that ain't gonna happen because I would usually geomerge a single model that I need in extra numbers into one to avoid using it in a "spam" way.

14. Adiktuz

Adiktuz

Resources:
    Models:
    Packs:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    JASS:
    Resources:
    Lag because of the quality of the doodads used... :)

anyway nice idea, trade-off between file size and lag...

15. Maestros

Maestros

Resources:
    Spells:
    Resources:
    What i meant, (and probably adiktuz too) is that, high definition doodadds and models, usually have great filrsizes, for example, i know some wow models which i love, but they are like, 5-10MB each... and in a full map they would be soooo laggy : /

16. Adiktuz

Adiktuz

Resources:
    Models:
    Packs:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    JASS:
    Resources:
    Its mainly on the quality of the model... even if you don't spam, if they're high def, they could cause lag on older comps...

17. Maestros

Maestros

Resources:
    Spells:
    Resources:
    well yeah, i guess besides filesize, def also matters escpecially if the comp has an ancient graphics card...

18. Adiktuz

Adiktuz

Resources:
    Models:
    Packs:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    JASS:
    Resources:
    personally, I only have lag for HD models, not for high file size models (yes I have some super high file size models that are not HD)... so it's not really on the file size...

File size mainly affects what you can play in multiplayer and of course, willingness of people to download...

19. andreariona

andreariona

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    lol can you believe that the rocks and crystal mesh that I use there is below 30kb (outcluding the texture)?

I know how to reduce the poly for models and making some models with a low polycount, so of course I wouldn't use such models with tremendous size. ^^'

P.S.: the original erza mesh when the first time I covert it with milkshape is only like 52kb (before I bone and animate it). so no, I didn't put any models with the size above 1mb or so.

20. Adiktuz

Adiktuz

Resources:
    Models:
    Packs:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    JASS:
    Resources:
    of course, textures take most of the file size of HD models... most high poly models which have high file sizes due to the poly count doesn't compare well with low poly models that have HD textures...