• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Need a Model Viewer/ Editor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 5
Doesn't work. It keeps giving me this error on startup.

2020.03.27-08.19.png

Level 5
I see. It does seem to work after showing the error.
Open the .exe not the .jar.
The reason i chose to open .jar one is because the .exe window appears to be a lot smaller and not correctly sized. I hope that doesn't cause problems

If that key is not found that should be okay. You will have to manually click the "Add Warcraft III Installation" option to add your Warcraft III installation directory as a source of game data.

I think i found the solution to my problem, thanks.

appears to be a lot smaller and not correctly sized

The technical reason behind this is that double clicking the jar launches with your computer's copy of the Java libraries, which are most likely version 10 or 11 or so and do automatic pixel scaling. The built in java version used by the EXE is Java 8.

So if I tell the program to use 12 point font and draw a rectangle size 100, it uses a 24 point font and draws a rectangle size 200. This used to mess up the 3d window significantly due to compatibility issues but it is possible that they are fixed for Java 11 now because od changes I made to my code in the past year. I do not personally run the program with Java 11 recently because that causes it to crash on Linux. But on Windows it will most likely still work.

Level 5
I hope you can fix the scaling issue because this is what i get when i run it in .exe
I can barely see the text
2020.03.28-22.17.png

Also i've discovered that when i do run the .jar version i get this
2020.03.28-22.28.png
The model viewer is not centered, so i can't see the whole model
I hope you can fix either of these problems because i really need to see the model/text in order to try this tool

That's a weird, new exception that you have there. In general, the differences between Java 8 and Java 11 are hard to work around, especially with regards to how they handle HiDPI monitor things.

I recently made a change to the way that I process texture lookups in the model's current directory, and when you're browsing models it points them to the default temp directory. I googled your problem and it says that folder you have there comes from when a Microsoft tech support employee remote controls your PC. Basically it looks like when my thing is trying to point the texture lookup code to the tool's temporary directory, somehow it got confused and went one directory above, and that directory contained this temp folder from your Microsoft tech support technician, which only the technician is allowed to access, not you, so it crashed my tool. But it points out a good problem that my tool was looking for textures one directory higher than it should have been.

I'm not aware of anybody else making model editors still in the Warcraft III community, so your best guess is going to be either to get a plugin like the one Taylor Mouse was working on to import Reforged models into commercial software like 3ds max, or to modify the SD Warcraft III models in the old format. There are several model editor tools for the old SD format that existed before Reforged, such as Magos War3 Model Editor, Mdlvis, the Prophet's War3 Viewer, Oinkerwinkle's tools, and others, as well as NeoDex for use with 3ds max.

Here's the link to the Taylor Mouse scripts:
Warcraft III Reforged - MDX format

Edit: as a note, I did some testing and I believe I have removed the cause of the weird error popup that you were seeing, so that fix should go out in the next version. I still don't quite understand why your 3D viewport scaling was bugged, though. I tested on my local machine running a build of the program with Java 11 when my Windows UI Scale was set to 200%, and for me the program still detects the 200% UI Scale on startup and fixes itself. But it's possible that maybe the way that I am detecting it does not work on all graphics card environments.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.