• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Near-instant dummy ability

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 4
I'm looking for a near-instant ability that can be used as a dummy ability. The ability channel has a small lag that causes the event, unit starts effect of an ability, to trigger about .2 to .3 seconds later. Is there an ability for which the event, unit starts effect of an ability, will detect almost immediately?

Level 11
Even if the unit has no cast animation and the spell has no cast time, etc, etc, most spells will take a moment to work. Berserker and divine shield are activated instantly. Same with things like Immolation and Mana Shield.

Level 8
That is not true, Storm Bolt has no casting time and it's effect starts only when the hammer hits the target.
Instant Effect abilites would be like:
-Berserk
-Chain Lightning/Finger of Pain(not sure for these 2)

Any instant casting... isn't instant casting means something like Berserk? A spell without a targeting image that instantly casts?
There are others:
-Roar
-Taunt
-Howl of Terror

Level 1
im not 100% sure but i have noticed that if u use the Unit - A unit Begins casting an ability event instead of the Unit - A unit Starts the effect of an ability event ,the triggers seem to respond faster
it worked 100% fine for my custom blink spell that deals damage around the caster @ the point of casting the spell and then deals damage around his new blinked location aswell where i used the Unit - A unit stop casting an ability event for the second wave of damage dealth.

Level 4
I was looking for a point target ability with little start-up time, not an instant cast ability, sorry for the confusion. If you make channel into a point cast ability, then make a trigger that detects when the unit starts the effect, you'll notice there is a small waiting time between when you click the target, and when the effect actually happens. In DotA, there are abilities, like time walk, that have nearly no start-up time when you cast them.

Level 8
Don't use wards! Messy business.

I used "farsight". I think maybe the thing that's giving you delay is not the spell but the dummy. Try changing his animation times to 0. This is will let him insta-cast.

Level 11

Art - Animation - Cast Point
It is a time before it start the effect of the skill.

Art - Animation - Cast Backswing
animation will start when he begin cast an ability
until the end of Cast Point and cast backswing is end

so the animation time is Cast Point + cast backswing

i have open up DotA and observe....
It time walk have around 0.3 sec cast time,
so if u want do like time walk,
change your unit:
Art - Animation - Cast Point - to 0.300
Art - Animation - Cast Backswing - to 1.134
(so is you din't pause the unit like faceless void ulti, you will see the animation still playing if no order is occur)

Trigger event use the same (Unit - Start Effect of an Ability)
so you will see the effect like time walk

if you want it cast really instant
change
Art - Animation - Cast Point - to 0.000
(but all skill cast by this unit type will also instantly)

Level 11
I'm pretty sure he's not asking for an ability to put on a dummy unit. He's asking how to make a spell for his hero/unit which is cast instantly, presumably with other skills that aren't instantly cast, meaning setting animation attributes to 0 would screw up the other skills.

Level 22
I'm pretty sure he's not asking for an ability to put on a dummy unit. He's asking how to make a spell for his hero/unit which is cast instantly, presumably with other skills that aren't instantly cast, meaning setting animation attributes to 0 would screw up the other skills.

That's pretty hard to find but ...

You wanted a target point spell and not target spell right?

Really you can base it of lots of spells, shockwave, blizzard etc etc

But the thing is:

ARE YOU MAKING TIMEWALK OR WHAT?!

Cause else you can base it on shockwave, change the animations to be like attack only or something not slam and create your spell with triggers ...

I'm looking for a near-instant ability that can be used as a dummy ability. The ability channel has a small lag that causes the event, unit starts effect of an ability, to trigger about .2 to .3 seconds later. Is there an ability for which the event, unit starts effect of an ability, will detect almost immediately?

Dunno, are you going to make mui? ^^ else put a wait 0.30 XD

Level 7
I don't recommend using shockwave.. unless it's a shockwave ability really.. I'm not sure which field does it, but I've used shockwave as a dummy ability before and it causes a LOT of lag after you use it a lot, if you change a certain field to something, didn't make an effort to find which field it was.. I'd rather just use channel/carrion swarm/breath of fire or something.

Level 11
so far i used channel for 90% to do my skill, but i din't realize that causing any lag.
i know shockwave does.

try use channel
close the value in "follow throught time" and set false in "Disable other ability"

is that ur trigger causing lag?
try closing all trigger 1st.
the test the map, so u can know is the skill causing lag or the trigger causing lag.

if only the 1st time of casting the ability is lag, that should not count on lag.
the cause of din't preload. so seach how to preload.

Level 11
I can't think of any off the top of my head, but any spell based on an Item ability should do the trick; the only problem being, I'm not sure a terrain targetable one exists.

Status
Not open for further replies.