• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

[Tower Defense] Nameless Project

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 1
As the title suggests, I have yet to name my project, but I'm quite far in its development.

Basically, the layout is your classical TD, 4 player co op map that in terms of monsters it's basic.
So what makes this special?

Well, let's start with the minor things.

Types of monsters:
Armored - Weak to magic, strong against physical attacks.
Immune - Only effected by physical attacks.
Magic - This is a bit weird, during such wave portals open up making the path shorter resulting in a quicker wave with blind spots.
Invisible - Speaks for itself.
Swarm - increased number of monsters, lower hp, faster movement.
Giants - lots of hp, a bit slower than normal monsters.
Boss - during boss battles minions spawn, such minions do not grant money or exp upon death and they continue to spawn unless all bosses are dead.

Difficulty Levels - You can set a difficulty level, which will increase the mob number multiplier, or increase the gold gain multiplier by decreasing difficulty(not sure if i'm making an easy difficulty). Difficulty is also adjusted in relation to the number of players, if you play alone, you get more gold and by default you have the multiplier of mobs set on easy. More people = more mobs = less starting resources = more co op.

Now for the unique parts:

Trap Towers - in this TD I remove the abilities given to the classic towers such as poison slow and such, and instead Trap Towers, which deal low damage if any, serve as slowing towers, poision and such, to deal with swarms. Trap Towers can only be built on path!

Races: Sure, having races isn't original, I acknowledge that, but hear me out, since it's well planned.

Goblins - Goblins do not rely on magic, and when it comes to it, they don't do so well, making them weak against Armored units in theory. They're lack of magic renders them incapable of using buffs or special effects other than a trap or two, but they make up for it with their unique tower systems: Automated towers.
Goblin Towers requires energy, maintaining the basic stage of the tower isn't that hard, but upgrading your tower means more energy consumption, which is why you need batteries! Each wave consumes one charge, and if you don't have any charges left, your modifications will fry up, reverting the tower to its first stage! You can recharge batteries using an Electrician(temporary name), a unit that will also sell modification chips to boost the power of your towers. (Goblin Towers have hero inventory). This seems tedious, right? That's why once you get enough resources you might want to built a power plant to supply power to your towers!
So what to do with left over batteries? You can use them! using a battery will overcharge your tower boosting its attack for a limited time, it could save you in dangerous situations, but if you don't have a power plant yet, you might risk your tower!
Don't worry, you are warned when battery is running low in one of your towers.

Summoners - Well, I haven't really thought of the concept of the race as much as the mechanics. Summoners on contrary to goblins, rely too much on magic, making them weak against Immune units. However, their affinity with magic allows their signature tower, the necro tower to summon skeletal warriors to fight from you from the corpse of your enemies! Well, yea, I know, undead much?
The unique system of the Summoners doesn't rely on batteries, or some flying magical rocks, it relies on summoners, instead of building towers, you are drawing spell circles, and to activate them you'll need one of your summoners to occupy that spell circle ----> You have limited summoners, which means you'll be moving your summoners around, and when it comes to swarms that's no fun... thankfully summoners have quite powerful traps that deal with pesky swarms.

Druids - Druids are masters of transformation, as such, their heroes have 2 forms. The Druids believe that every living being is connected, and the difference between one tower and another is an illusion - Druids have their all-in-one tower, allowing them to dynamically change their strategy, with the cost of 5 second switch. Other than that tower, you have the Druid of Land and Sky, while he's in his regular form, he can harness the power of the earth to bind his enemies down, slowing them, but while in sky in his owl form, he can see the unseen and reveal invisible units, which makes him quite important.
The druids dynamic system is supposed to be able to counter all types of waves, so they are a little bit weaker than the other races.

Pandarens - Pandarens are a race of proud warriors, their years upon years of training taught them to see not only with their eyes, but with their minds as well, allowing them to see the unseen. Their honor does not allow cowardly tactics like traps, making them weak against swarms, but they make up with their power. So far the only system I have is that Pandarens don't build towers - they need to train at the dojo, and to upgrade they need to meditate. Good news is that they can change their position, by (uprooting), after all, they can't fight unless they stand their ground. Having this system, you'll want to move your pandas in and out of battle to effectively train them without blocking a quite nice spot to unleash hell upon the coming waves. Don't worry, you can hire already trained pandas at first, and when you upgrade your dojo more pandaren warriors will come looking for a job as an alternative to training. A better dojo means you get already next tier belt worth of pandaren warriors.

(Yes this is most likely be in the post I'll use to upload this when it reaches beta worth state).

So anyways, I wanted some opinions or suggestions regarding the classes. So far I managed to make the battery system work, and the summoner spell circle work (you can see the summoner inside the spell circle while he's loaded there, it uses orc borrow abilities as base to allow the attack system).

I'm considering the following features:
-Goblin modifications - I mentioned it but didn't make it yet- equipping towers with items in order to improve them.

-Custom Battery Animation - When battery is in certain amount, to change it's icon, but it's more trouple than it's worth it at the moment as I barely managed to get a decent battery icon(I did).

-Pandaren transcendence - The last upgrade for pandarens will be transcendence - every pandaren warrior will connect with their spirit animal or elemental to become them, such as fire panda will be able to choose between turning into a pheonix or become flame acting as an alternative to Trap tower by setting themselves onto the path. Would be cool if earth panda will turn into an earthquake, slowing down and attacking targets, and storm will turn to an hurricane which does.... I have no idea yet.

-Secondary race - after a certain round, players will be able to choose a secondary race, depending on their chosen race ---> there will be 7 secondary races, 4 as direct continue of the previous race : Gnomes- new tech (Or maybe ogres, hard hitters), Necromancers(maybe taking away the necro tower away) or Skeletons (totally gonna put a easter egg here :3), Trees?, Ninjas/more pandas. and 2 races everyone can choose: Human defenders - The ones who you are defending apparently in this TD who rely on physical damage, and Elementals - to serve as magic damage.

-Your ideas!

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 63
I do not think it is necessary to punish the Goblin players if they run out of power by destroying all their mods. Instead the mods could be deactivated until they get power, which itself is a huge penalty for the player. Also the goblins energy system sounds a bit iffy as you say that better towers take more energy but energy always costs 1 charge per round which has to be micro brought.

Level 1
I do not think it is necessary to punish the Goblin players if they run out of power by destroying all their mods. Instead the mods could be deactivated until they get power, which itself is a huge penalty for the player. Also the goblins energy system sounds a bit iffy as you say that better towers take more energy but energy always costs 1 charge per round which has to be micro brought.

Shouldn't be difficult to make higher tier towers cost more energy per round, it's quite simple as I pretty much need to have a trigger for every tower type.

Thing is you get warnings about low battery, and it's quite easy to recharge using the electrician. And in later parts of the game you can build a power plant that prevents batteries from being depleted (guarding the towers from destruction)

Since I'm using a item system to use modifications and batteries, disabling them for low power is a bit more difficult.

The idea is that all races have their up and downs, so far the goblin race is the most developed in that sense.

The summoner's limit of food limits the amount of towers they can activate at a time, and I'm thinking of allowing them to see invisible units using shades that you can get by sacrificing a summoner, which uses the same food amount until a late game ability that will allow them to see invisible units. Shades could revert back to summoners for a fee.

Status
Not open for further replies.