• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

My Two Cents On Reforged (Should It Have Been Delayed?)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 7
I had an inkling that the whole "Classic and Reforged will be compatible" think was false from the start. I figured that at some point classic would no longer exist. But to rid us of classic when the release is so... how do I put this politely... Lackluster? I gonna go with lackluster. Custom Campaigns aren't available and the game runs well... it runs poorly. I always had the notion that Reforged would completely supplant classic, much to my chagrin. But, as far as I know, they didn't tell us that the update to release would get rid of it. I only updated last night and playing some of the campaigns were what I did before I went to bed and I didn't notice until I hopped onto the forums just a short few moments ago.

This is a scummy move, in my opinion. The game is just barely in a playable state and many peoples maps, their hours of work and toil, are broken and at present, The Campaigns made lovingly by those with a passion to go through the effort, lay presently useless. The release either should have been delayed or not have overwritten classic.

I love Warcraft III. I was excited for reforged. Even when the beta went live and it was a mess I was still excited. But this has thoroughly and efficiently killed the buzz. I would have gladly waited, and I think many of you would have too, for a version more fitting of the descriptor of Release Version. In the words of Shigeru Miyamoto, “A delayed game is eventually good, a bad game is bad forever.”

Level 3
I just feel demoralized. I took a break from mapping, wanting to get back into it proper with the release of Reforged, but everything's gone tits up. I should've known better than to let the hype (albeit small) get to me, but it's hard to shake off when you've played and loved the game for so long. I don't think a delay would've saved this trainwreck. Ironed out the bugs and facilitated a smoother launch maybe, but the core issues (visual design foremost) would still be there.

I'd go back to pre-Reforged, but they decided to bake over my old installation so I guess I'm shit out of luck unless I scrounge a pirated copy or something, and never connect online in any way.

Level 7
This is, to be sure, a cheapshot of a kidney punch, but I've rolled with punches in the past and I will continue to do so now. Like it or not, reforged is here and classic is gone. We can protest and ask Activision Blizzard to restore classic, but I don't think that will get too far. There are only two real options.
  1. Roll with the punches and continue with our work.
  2. Stop playing Warcraft III
I will be carrying on with the hope that maybe it'll be updated and patched into something that is, acceptable, if not good.

Uncle

Warcraft Moderator
Level 64
As much as the current situation sucks, the devs are aware of the problems and are going to continue to work on improving the game. How long will the major improvements take? That's another story.

The visual design complaints are subjective and in my opinion the game looks solid-most of the time. You can create some really good looking stuff in the Editor and I imagine people will make some beautiful maps.

At the moment I am able to work on my map just fine. It's shaping up nicely and I look forward to playing it with my friends. All of this is possible in the current game, regardless of the other problems. Who knows, maybe they'll patch in some nice editor improvements/bug fixes in the coming weeks that will calm people down. I really don't want to give up on this game even if it means taking some abuse in the meantime.

Status
Not open for further replies.